Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PAYING TO PUKE:

28 bucks...

seems like i spent at least that much many times before in college to end up huddled in a ball vomiting (hopefully in a toilet or outside, and not on a buddies floor).

but today i was racing, trying to be fast... well i guess i was trying a little to hard.

about 4-5 miles in, after feeling pretty good moving up through the field, i died... it was the top of a long hill and i got the familiar cough that is gonna require a stop. well it didn't stop at just coughing. i threw my bike down and soon i was letting the contents of my stomach go...

i think the heat combined with an overly greazy pre-race meal was just too much for my body to handle.

luckily after 2-3 minutes of disgusting agony it was over, i felt better! someone had just knocked that lead weight outta my belly.

but i kew i better not ride too hard or i would die now out on the course in the heat with nothing in the tank. so i limped on, briefly finding my form and then cracking and dieing on most of the bigger hills. it worked pretty well actually and i ended up with a repectable time (for me anyways) of 2:54 for the 23 miles.

it really sucked not racing up to where i thought i could but it was a good lesson. so i guess i paid 28 bucks not only to puke but to learn a lesson; and to ride almost 20 miles after dieing on the side of the trail.

·
Dirt Whore
297 Posts
Bro, The heat really changes a lot of things, Looking back i think i did a great job hydrating the day before and loading on carbs-

I may have went out a tad too hard, as I quickly noticed a lot of the Sport S2 riders I can usually hang with Pull away- but I felt my body going into the red and decided not to push it, the fast Vet 1 guys caught up to me pretty quick and then some of the medium speed Vet 1 guys caught up, but I think like many others they went out too hard, cause i started passing a lot of the Vet 1 guys again.

I felt the need to balance Water/HEED intake cause I did feel the puke potential coming on, after the last water stop I heard some one yacking, i thought that meant the finish was near!

·
Registered
371 Posts
man i suck, max spends 2-3 minutes puking on the side of the trail only 5 miles into the race and i never caught up to him. i did a good job of prehydrating and keeping myself hydrated on course and never felt bad out on the course. well never felt any worse than i normally do.

i did really appreciate the 2 water stops along the way. pouring a few cups of cold water on my head was awesome. for races in that kind of heat i'm gonna start carrying a water botttle for just that purpose.

god i can't wait to get my new bike, being stuck with one gear ratio really sux. i feel as if i had a smaller gear i would have been able to pace myself much better. while cranking up hills with a big gear is great for the ego it's really just a waste of energy. where does that put me on the 10 phases of singlespeeding?

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah lance i bet you'd be faster with a lower gear! especially in the tight twisty stuff at farihill and belmont. but then you seem to push that big gear pretty well...

i don't understand the guys who can push a 2:1 on anything... i know plenty of em, but i still don't understand it.

what are you gonna run? i was really happy with 34x20 on my monocog last year but this year i think i'd up it to a 34x19 (i rock the 34x21 on my niner which is basically the same thing).

·
Registered
371 Posts
i have a 32t chainring and bought a 17t and 19t endless cog. i figured the 32x17 was the same as my current 34x18, 1 tooth in the rear less than 2:1. although the more i think about it i'm probably gonna run the 19t to start off with and maybe buy an 18t if i'm spinning out too much.

i can do places like wissahickon on my current 34x18 but i'm needing way too much recovery time after the bigger climbs.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
How I survived

I stayed home in the air conditioning :rolleyes:

I admire you guys not only for participating in the race, but for doing so under the conditions. Kudos to max for horking and still kicking Lance's arse. :thumbsup:

Hope to get to ride with you guys at Wiss this summer.

Bob

·
Registered
234 Posts
Good job Max! Way better than my tripple flat about 2.5 miles into the course. Damn that sucked!

Oh well. Not like I had placed high at Sewell last weekend anyway.

On the flip side I don't understand guys who can spin 15,000 rpm in 32X20 on the flats. I know plenty of them, I just don't understand! :p

·
Registered
729 Posts
heat wasnt bad i dont think...but i was running a 36x18,and the mud sucked!!!that and i got a flat and i ended up walking the rest of the course across the line...well i rode some but my rims a bit dented...still a blast though!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts