Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of getting back into mountain biking after a long hiatus. My last bike was a Giant Full suspension that I was never fond of. Before that I had a steel hardtail Stump Jumper that I thoroughly enjoyed. 29ers sound enticing and I've read good things about the Comp 29er. A local dealer has an 08. Are there many upgrades to the 09? The price has gone from $1650 to $1950.What would be a fair price to offer for the 08?
As to fit I'm 6' 1" and usually ride a 58cm tt road bike. Does a 19" 29er sound right for me?
Thanks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The 08 the dealer has is a 19". I'll take it for a test ride this weekend. I believe the effective top tube length is 61cm which seems plenty long, But I suspect with differences in geometry road and 29er measurements don't directly correlate.

·
SSolo, on your left!
2,577 Posts
Ludeatude said:
...Its got more to do with how comfortable you are with the reach. Jump on one of each to see how it feels.
Yep, 6'2" here..........SPesh Rockhopper Disc 29er.....XL (21") same size as my 26" HT.

markmaxwell said:
....I believe the effective top tube length is 61cm which seems plenty long, But I suspect with differences in geometry road and 29er measurements don't directly correlate.
Not a good correlation....if they were both MTB hardtail, it would be a more accurate size comparison. However every brand and even models within a brand have different geometry and hence different fit. Ride it and see....also ask the shop to fit you before you ask about a bike that they only have on of from last year's model so that you are more likely to get good info and not pushed towards the wrong size to clear their old stock.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just bought one

I paid $1600 for my 2008 21" Stumpjumper Comp just last weekend. It was on the floor for for $1650.

I am 6'1" and had them put on a shorter stem on it for me and the reach is pretty good on it. I think I just need to get used to the new position as my last bike was smaller and 8 years old. The 19" felt way too small for me.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I am 6' and on a 21"

I am 6' and on a 21" with a 35" true inseam. 100mm stem. I did ride a 19" and felt like I was too far over the front wheel that was with a 105mm stem. I would say you could ride either -- just test ride and make your choice. If you don't feel comfortable on it then don't buy it. Bike has to fit for you to enjoy it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its sounding like I may need a 21" based on everyones observations. I'll test ride it today but I suspect it will be to small. I might be in the hunt for an 09. Hard tails aren't real popular here in rocky Tucson.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.