Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard the trails seemed pretty dry, but with past days of rain may have got wet again. Has anyone been out?
I did Brandywine Creek- at least parts. It was moist hardpack, but not sloppy really. The usual water flow areas were wet though. 7 miles of riding and bike didn't need washed.
Has any of the terrain changed on the trails listed above?
Who's up for scheduling rides on Sundays?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, answered one spot- Judge Morris Estate...

Rode 2 laps clockwise Friday before the rains came Sat. It was PERFECT!!! Only 2-3 of the normal wet spots were DAMP...not soaking wet. Trail was dry enough to go around the damp areas without even getting off the trail. The hardpack was just damp enough that traction was perfect on 32 psi front and 35 psi rear pressures on Hutchinson Bulldogs. Never once did I slide out. Even the roots were dry enough for a slip proof round. If Middle Run is in the same condition- well maybe a few days after this soaking rain all day today- then riding is great here in DE. Can't wait to try Fair Hill again this year. Tomorrows 70 degree temperatures with 10-20 mph winds should dry things up quickly.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What- nobody else here rides in DE???????

I'm slowly answering my own question here.....
Rode Fair Hill on Saturday. PREFECT!!! Dry trails with run off wet spots, but nothing unusually damp. Trails are in great shape, except for those that have been hoofed so much by the damn horses that they look as though a roto tiller went through. Thank goodness Crack Head Bob is a "No Horse" trail and it is well preserved for Hike & Bike. Even a trail that was clearly marked "Hike & Bike Only- No Horses" had been hoofed up. I'll bet if a mountain bike was found on a "Horse Only" trail, they'd go ape $#!T!!!! Some of the technical stuff needs to have a maintenance crew go over. Some of the stepped log crossings were hairy with missing logs that created OTB situations if you didn't walk it. The trails also need some maintenance, as the jaggers are growing like mad!! Time to get there for a trail day.

·
Registered
314 Posts
We really got lucky this past weekend!

The trails in the Middle Run/ White Clay Creek area at in terrific shape. I ride fairly often in that area and if you don't mind riding at a less than training/racing pace let me know? I'll probably be down that way Saturday afternoon. - Bob

·
Registered
151 Posts
HPilot...where do you ride in Brandywine? A bunch of us get together on Sunday nights but recently we ran into a ranger who just happened to notice us dropping in on the Greenways path from a no bikes trail...so basically no more Brandy for us. We have been going down to Brian's Field to ride the skills course and that is a bunch of fun but a rather short loop.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Only on the west side really...

2000cx said:
HPilot...where do you ride in Brandywine? A bunch of us get together on Sunday nights but recently we ran into a ranger who just happened to notice us dropping in on the Greenways path from a no bikes trail...so basically no more Brandy for us. We have been going down to Brian's Field to ride the skills course and that is a bunch of fun but a rather short loop.
There is a trail (probably the one you came down) that is not marked from the North entrance (down from the gaming fields), but as you come down to the greenway, it IS marked no bikes. I mostly ride on the west side of Rt 92, around Ramsey's Farm and across the road. The trails there are nice, but short loops. I would put Brandywine at last place in my choices to ride. Middle Run, Judges and Fair Hill offer so much more in the way of trail systems.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wont be riding this weekend....

XCBob said:
The trails in the Middle Run/ White Clay Creek area at in terrific shape. I ride fairly often in that area and if you don't mind riding at a less than training/racing pace let me know? I'll probably be down that way Saturday afternoon. - Bob
At least not in DE. I'm heading back West to my parents house in Johnstown. Hopefully will be able to get out to my old grinding trails there.

We ususally meet Sundays at 9am, either at McGlynn's parking lot or the Gallaher Rd lot at Fair Hill. We usually do a 15-20 mile ride at less than race pace. I'd say medium. Shoot me an email and I will send you my cell phone number. We can definitely hook up. It just so happened last week, with Mother's day, that we rode Sat. If it is nice both days of the weekend, and we have the time, we ride both days. We pick one of the days for 15 miles at fast to race pace.

I rode Middle Run Saturday and it was in decent shape. All but the area close to the road crossing down from McGlynn's.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was riding the Middle Run trails this past weekend and they were a little muddy/wet from the rain but they seemed pretty good....although I'm admittedly inexperienced so I'm only guessing what "good" really is.

I just go into biking not knowing that so many great trails are right in the area...I was afraid I'd have to drive all over to find good trails...not the case at all. I literally bike from my apartment right to the roads/trails I want to ride.....it's great!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.