Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an older specialized, and the rear suspension is out. Would need to replace for $250. I was thinking of getting a metal piece to convert to hard tail.
I understand this is a common solution for these older bikes.

But I don't know where to get that piece. Recommendations?

·
Track Junkie
1,236 Posts
I'm assuming that the rear shock is broken/blown, and the shock is the issue.

You can find replacement shocks on the MTBR Classifieds, eBay, etc. All you need to know is the "eye to eye" extended lenth, and the stroke of the shock.

If you want to replace the shock and make it a hardtail, you can pick up a piece of pipe from the hardware store, cut to lengh, and drill the eyelet holes in it.

If you decide to turn it into a hardtail, the rear triangle may be more prone to fail since the shock is not absorbing the impacts.

You might finds better support on the Specialized forum, to help you fix the issue.

-B

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
you cant put a piece of metal where a shock goes, the bike will break. thats like constantly, continually bottoming out the bike. you'll break it and hurt yourself pretty quick.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Sounds like you broke/cracked your rear triangle. If so, and IF you are the original owner Specilized will warranty the part, free. You will need to pay a bike shop to disassemble the bike, ship the rear triangle to Specialized & then re-assemble it.
If you're NOT the original owner, you're hosed.
Most Specialized dealers will do this; all should.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
tomsmoto said:
you cant put a piece of metal where a shock goes, the bike will break. thats like constantly, continually bottoming out the bike. you'll break it and hurt yourself pretty quick.
Pure curiosity but what about riding a FS with a fully locked out shock the whole time? I rode my Float R down some DH and didn't seem to hurt it.

·
Big Gulps, Alright!
3,223 Posts
Renovatio said:
Pure curiosity but what about riding a FS with a fully locked out shock the whole time? I rode my Float R down some DH and didn't seem to hurt it.
The shock would give before the frame. Shocks with lockout generally have a blowoff valve so when the bike encounters a big hit nothing gets damaged. With a solid piece of metal there there is no amount of give and the vibration is sent through the whole frame, which was not designed to handle that kind of force.

Plus, in my experience there's always a small amount of give with lockout.

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
uh, no...

Berry Stevens said:
Sounds like you broke/cracked your rear triangle. If so, and IF you are the original owner Specilized will warranty the part, free. You will need to pay a bike shop to disassemble the bike, ship the rear triangle to Specialized & then re-assemble it.
If you're NOT the original owner, you're hosed.
Most Specialized dealers will do this; all should.
not officially. specialized considers the whole rear triangle 'suspension linkage' on the one year warranty to the original owner.

That said, I had a 2003 Stumpjumper FSR-XC that I was in the process of selling. During the whole cleanup process I noticed I cracked the shock dogbone. Dang, can;t sell it like that. I went to Wheels of Justice to look into a replacement part. $50 for a new dogbone. I ordered it, and turns out Specialized just gave it to my shop, who turned around and gave it to me.

Maybe you'll get lucky. Give the LBS a try.

·
Uncle
4,360 Posts
Hey Pimpy, what size frame? Might have a buyer fer ya

pimpbot said:
not officially. specialized considers the whole rear triangle 'suspension linkage' on the one year warranty to the original owner.

That said, I had a 2003 Stumpjumper FSR-XC that I was in the process of selling. During the whole cleanup process I noticed I cracked the shock dogbone. Dang, can;t sell it like that. I went to Wheels of Justice to look into a replacement part. $50 for a new dogbone. I ordered it, and turns out Specialized just gave it to my shop, who turned around and gave it to me.

Maybe you'll get lucky. Give the LBS a try.

If it's a medium, my brother might be interested. Lemme know.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts