Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
MTBiker
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 2-step function on my 2010 Lyrik IS 2-Step fork no longer works. It slowly diminished to the point that now it only lowers about 3-5mm (not the advertised 45mm).

Since it came on my 2010 Enduro expert, it is under warranty and the bike shop said there is a chance I can upgrade it at this time.

I understand there are 2 other models: the coil u-turn and the solo air. Can anyone fill me in on what adjustments each of these have and their pros/cons? I didn't use the 2-step much so I won't miss it. I am having trouble finding information since I no longer see these models on the SRAM site.

·
Fixin' shocks Day & Night
270 Posts
A lot of the Lyric 2-steps failed that got manufactured about a year ago. It seems like the seal for the 2-step mechanism was too thin and it wore quickly. I have sent a couple back and SRAM does excellent work. I say stick to the Solo Air because of weight the coil spring adds some lbs to the bike for sure... It will really perform better with the Solo Air as well. Best of both worlds!

·
MTBiker
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sweet thanks for the input.

Another point of confusion for me... I understand that the 2-step mechanism is in the left leg, along with rebound damping. The compression (I have low speed only) and air pressure is on the right leg.

Does changing to solo-air include replacing parts in both legs? I would like low and high speed compression adjust aka Mission Control.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Changing two a solo air will only work temporarily. The inside stanchions of the solo air forks are honed (a fine finishing operation) to work with a piston seal. The stanchions for the 2-step air forks don't have that extra operation. The piston seals on the air chamber will most likely fail prematurely, and continue to do so.

If your fork is the 160mm travel model it will work with U-turn coil. If you want a 170mm fork then you can look at single travel coil.

All the dampers compression and rebound are in the right fork leg. All the damping components are upgradeable to the DH level damping components. These parts are not always available. Exploded views of the forks are available on SRAM's website.

I looked into doing something similar with my fork and talked to a few people. That's how I found out that Solo-air components only work with the Stanchions from a solo air fork.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 2010 Specialized Enduro Lyrik 2-step failed too. They have a revised 2-step assembly that SRAM covered under warranty.

Initially SRAM had me send the fork in to a subcontractor in Seattle and it came back with a bent fill valve tube and loose/falling off rebound damping knob and the compression damping knob had no effect (wrong oil level?). I sent the fork in again to SRAM. They then mixed up the fork with another, and it got shipped back to the wrong bike shop. Finally I now have a completely rebuilt fork with all new internals (and updated parts) and am happy. If it breaks again I'm going to be pissed though.

·
holding back the darkness
1,734 Posts
There are more models than that (though you may not be eligible for the others....).

I have a 170mm Lyrik Solo-air with the DH damper on my Ibis HD and really like it. I had a travel adjust on my last fork and after realizing it was just another complicating, volume-reducing, thing-to-break i didn't use I went with the fixed travel fork this time around with no regrets.
This is what I'd ask for: Lyrik RC2DH Solo Air, 170mm.
SRAM's website is a little confusing to decipher as they lump a number of variations into one product listing.

·
MTBiker
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I brought my fork back to the bike shop where I bought the bike and they told me it would be $15 shipping to have it fixed, or $300 to upgrade to the Mission Control damper and whatnot.

I said to just fix it for $15. A week and a half later I received a brand new 2011 Lyrik RC2L. I'm totally happy with that since now it has the Mission Control and a working 2-step (but who knows for how long)

·
MTBiker
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
750 Posts
Travel adjust forks are overrated and just one more thing you have to worry about failing on a fork. It's great the manufacturers will cover them under warranty, as they should, but in the mean time your left without a fork and if you don't have a spare you can't ride.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 2005 Fox TALAS has never failed. I find that for trails that have distinct climbing and descending sections (like we have locally in CA), the travel adjustment is a big help. Not nearly as useful riding rolling hills.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.