Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don’t feel like building a SS from a frame, and was wondering who sells a SS as a complete bike? I know there’s the Kona Unit, Salsa Timberjack, and the Niner Air, is there anything else I’m missing?

· Wanna ride bikes?
12,780 Posts
Slightly outdated, but lots of good info here.

· Registered
1,829 Posts
I mean given how hard it is to find drivetrains new. I'd say if buy anything geared that has sliding dropouts and convert to single speed you should have zero issue selling the stock geared drivetrain.

· Registered
313 Posts
I mean given how hard it is to find drivetrains new. I'd say if buy anything geared that has sliding dropouts and convert to single speed you should have zero issue selling the stock geared drivetrain.
+1. I purchased a specialized fuse 29’er before COVID and converted it to single speed before it ever saw dirt. Sold the take off drivetrain within a week, I ride it all the time, wonderful single speed bike.

· Registered
13,881 Posts
Several of the manufacturers in this thread don't have a complete bike available as a singlespeed. Please check your work.
That said, anything with a PF30 or BB30 will take an eccentric bottom bracket, and many biks have adjustable dropouts of some sort. If you buy one of those as a complete and put a single cog and spacers on it, you have a singlespeed bike. You can keep the shifty bits or sell them and come out ahead.
**In other words: your quest for a complete singlespeed-specific bike is going to limit you a ton. but if you open up to bikes that are easily converted, you have a ton more worthwhile options.

· Rippin da fAt
12,935 Posts
I know they have it for geared, but SS?
Frameset and build it your way simply cause that would be my choice to eliminate drama. Or as a complete, go geared for some rides, SS for other rides. A fella would already have the drivetrain parts and a cog is a cheap purchase over a complete Transmission, options, options, options...

Likely gone are the days of ordering a SS or geared setup tho.

· Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
19,711 Posts
Landyachtz just introduced a new affordable option.

I'm suspicious of any company that confuses a rigid bike with a hardtail as Landyachtz does on the page you linked.
They also call the fork a "front fork" which is a term that's always grated my nerves.
Saying "front fork" is as bad as saying "fully rigid."
If it's rigid, it's rigid. "Fully" is superfluous.
If it's a fork, obviously it's not going on the back of the bike.
/rant
=sParty

· Registered
1,829 Posts
I'm suspicious of any company that confuses a rigid bike with a hardtail as Landyachtz does on the page you linked.
They also call the fork a "front fork" which is a term that's always grated my nerves.
Saying "front fork" is as bad as saying "fully rigid."
If it's rigid, it's rigid. "Fully" is superfluous.
If it's a fork, obviously it's not going on the back of the bike.
/rant
=sParty
To be fair they do offer a hardtail version.
Landyachtz has been around for a long time (as a skateboard company).

I have to say the Play Bike 2.0 looks like a great bike though IMO.

· Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
19,711 Posts
To be fair they do offer a hardtail version.
Landyachtz has been around for a long time (as a skateboard company).

I have to say the Play Bike 2.0 looks like a great bike though IMO.
I didn't intend to denigrate the bike, rather the person who writes their marketing copy.
And thereby the company insofar as the company appointed the copy writer and it seems to me that a bike company should know their product better than to let such a thing happen.
But I spent 30 years writing ad copy so it's a pet peeve of mine.
Truth is the masses will swallow practically anything.
=sParty

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.