Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my dilema.

I bought a 05 Specialized P1 frame. The frame was stripped of parts (meaning the headset and BB were installed, and removed). The mating surfaces on the headtube and BB have a touch of the P1's coating on them, but they are indeed flat. I know that when a frame's faced that it's just shiny metal right?

I was told that if I was to use loose ball stuff it makes a difference but if using cartridge bearings it doesn't make such a difference. I know everything else was done to the frame because you can see where the headtube was reamed and the BB's shells threads are all perfect. I'm using a FSA Plat. BB and a FSA PIG DH Pro headset (both cartridge bearings).

I was even told by the person who sold me the frame that some old timers will say face it, others would say it's fine. Clearly the bike had parts on it which is what makes me wonder why specialized out of all companies would still leave some of their finish on the headtube and BB mating surfaces. So what should I do? I dunno how much my LBS charges for facing the BB and the headtube. I've never had a LBS here really do much but press in a headset.

Just wondering what other's feel is on this.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I was even told by the person who sold me the frame that some old timers will say face it, others would say it's fine.

OLDTIMERS !! Today companies such as CK (headsets) Shimano (external B.B.'s on HollowTech II) and some others strongly suggest facing the surfaces to reduce uneven bearing load ( some symtoms include: binding and/or grinding of the bearings and "creaking" noises from the cups) Others who say this is not needed ( on high quality products) are either ignorant, don't have the tools, or are just too lazy to do it (probably the latter)

why specialized out of all companies would still leave some of their finish on the headtube and BB mating surfaces

Simple.. to save money on labour and tools. However, you are starting to see more companies (mostly boutique) face these areas.

Cost to face/chase b.b. ~ $30.00 (depends on the shop)
Cost to face/ream headtube ~$30.00 (depends on the shop)

Sounds like your headtube might be done, so your good to go there. If your Pig DH has the deep cup version you should get the HT reamed. While the bike has no parts on it, it wouldn't hurt to have the b.b. shell looked at before installing the goods.

·
Registered
119 Posts
The reason you do this work is to ensure that the upper and lower surfaces of the HT are perfectly parallel to each other prior to installing the headset. This is a simple job that your LBS can do in a few minutes and while your there you may as well have them install the headset and the BB if you were not going to do this yourself. $30.00 seems steep to me for the HT, but then again the guys at West Side Cycling in Denver see my face a lot, and I bring them beer & starbucks. That may be why I don't have to wait for my repairs and most are free... :cool:

·
Registered
119 Posts
cort said:
Mmmm... beer and coffee. Wish there were more cutomers out there like you!
Kamloops is a long way from here. Next time we go to BC/Whistler I'll take along some fat tire and Redbull for y'all...Trade for the good stuff :D ???

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.