Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
bikenbetty
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Let me re-form my question... If you want not just your eyes covered, while riding.. and I use sunscreen.. but need to keep the sun totally off my face... what is out there? Attaching to the helmet itself..
Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
445 Posts
Are you trying to shade your entire face? If so, a full-face helmet with UV protected goggles is about as good as it gets without going to a motorcycle helmet.

·
Registered
12,840 Posts
lerrygibson said:
hi,
Well, I believe the real fun is in enjoying the sun rays falling on face while riding. but on protection side sun screen and a UV goggles is enough.
I am guessing there is a good reason why Betty doesn't want to get sun on her face. Maybe she has really fair skin or an allergy to the sun.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Little off topic but as long as we are talking about face protection, I always use a boil and bite mouthguard when doing DH or DJ even when wearing a full face helmet. The full face helmet can't really protect your chin from the bottom and the mouthguard can also reduce the severity of a concussion.

Windshields are hot and fog up quickly even on a street bike(motorcycle), it probably wouldn't be much fun with a MTB.

·
is buachail foighneach me
6,589 Posts
If you need to keep the sun completely off of your face, for medical reasons or otherwise, a balaclava is going to be your best/easiest option. It will be warm though.... Another option would be to get a full face mtb helmet and attach a tinted, UV filtering, wrap around visor/face shield. Not sure where you would find one that would easily retrofit to an mtb helmet.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
You can wear a regular helmet, a head buff thingy and wide sunglasses. Thats what I wear, I hate suntan lotion :( I fish a lot. I'm under the sun at least 10 hours every week. SPF clothes and the head buff gets me by. And no wise ass comments please. I have two buddies who had quarter pound hamburgers taken out of their face and necks. Can you say MELANOMA.

·
Registered
12,840 Posts
bing! said:
You can wear a regular helmet, a head buff thingy and wide sunglasses. Thats what I wear, I hate suntan lotion :( I fish a lot. I'm under the sun at least 10 hours every week. SPF clothes and the head buff gets me by.

If I saw that riding twards me, I'd whip a 180 and ride like hell!

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Best thing since sliced bread. I have the Mountain Bike UK freebie that came with the magazine. It keeps my neck warm during socal winters too :)

·
bikenbetty
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey thanks for your reply... My interest in face mask/protection is for one the gnats that come into season as the days heat up, and secondly for sun protection. I have devised a UV protection, poly-carbonite prototype that I attach with velcro... covers my face, keeps out the gnats, doesn't interfer with my heavy breathing. Just looks like hell, no curb appeal. Hoping maybe someone has designed a solution with a bit more look appeal...

·
bikenbetty
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Vampire....hmmmmm
Well that is a good question why need the coverage?? I can say I may be a little "long in the tooth" but nobody has told me I am hard on their eyes!!!
Trail riding in No. Calif brings with it small black gnats that just seem to find me amazingly attractive. The buzzing around my eyes and up my nose takes a great ride down to a challenge beyond elevation...

·
is buachail foighneach me
6,589 Posts
I had figured it was an alergy to sunscreen or(worse), UV. If the gnats are the main concern, I would say just a bandana tied biker/rioter style over your nose/mouth and suitable glasses.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Buzz Off bandana. I velcro one on to the back of my helmet to repel gnats. Cut it in half so it makes 2 as it's too big as sold. They still hit my legs but stay away from my head.
The only other way I know to shade your face well is to get a dorky brim for horse riding to put on your helmet.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts