Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
UPDATE: Face Lift for my Nomad: PICTURES

Stripped the paint yesterday, and dropped it off to Atlantic Metal Coating (AMC Tech) today.

By this time next week, I'll have myself an orange powder coated Nomad!

I can't wait. Pictures to come.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope!

Just orange and sticker set.

100-150 Canadian is what I was quoted for a real good quality powder coat.

Sounds good to me.

Say some motor cycle stuff they did, and it looks reallllll good. And the orange is the same as the Santa Cruz orange.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Getting it tomorrow!!!

Will have it tomorrow, and sticker kit to show up Thursday if UPS stays on track.

Will be a new bike. New bearings. Shock had it's servicing at cane creek.

I will be looking for a buyer as well, if anyone knows anyone looking for a new condition nomad with ccdb for a steal.

My friend owns a shop and does not sell Santa Cruz. So, I may (will) be looking at the Foes FXR.

Pictures to come anyways. $150 was the price for the powdercoat!

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The paint job should raise the value of the bike. Instead of cable rub and little rock ships, it's new!

This will be a new bike. Not a nick. New bearings too. And the CCDB.

I am not sure about price yet. I am certainly open to offers, just PM me if you are interested. It's a size medium.

·
Registered
89 Posts
That's a pretty negative way to look at it! He sounds happy, no need to undermine.
Furthermore, the frame could be out of warranty anyway and it only applies to the original owner so what's the big problem?

From the SC website:

"Santa Cruz Bicycles will repair or replace at its option any frame or
suspension component it determines to be defective. The warranty will be in effect for two years from the date of sale and applies to the original owner. This warranty does not cover custom finishes."

Cheers,

James.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Being a second hand owner with no receipt will certainly equal no warranty for the buyer anyway. And the serial numbers on the bike are registered in my name with SC.

Fine, you want to buy one new, go for it. This frame and CCDB with Ti coil will cost you $2500 or so, and then tax.

Take off a grand for a warranty you'll never need, and that's not such a bad deal is it?

I am going to try and get a good dollar for the bike. If I can't sell it, I'll gladly keep it and ride it until it's dead. I love the bike, but I just want to make the effort to support my friend who opened his own shop since I bought the frame.

I won't be too upset if I have to keep the Nomad! I wish he carried SC. But there is a Foes FXR out there somewhere calling my name.

The paint job looks great by the way. I will have pictures up by the end of the week when I have decals applied.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Santa Cruz has a policy on their No Fault Warranty Program, thats kind of dont ask dont tell. and as far as a warranty never being needed, thats not true at all. Santa Cruz bikes are fantastic bikes, and are very strong, but NOTHING lasts forever. Aluminum fatigues over time, and will eventually need to be replaced.

Aside from the fact that you will be lucky to see ANY return on the investment of the new powdercoat. Just like in housing even the best investment in the house say a new kitchen, will only net you an 80 percent return on investment.

·
Registered
163 Posts
To each their own.

I don't care. Merely use this forum to inform other people that are considering having a custom finish for their own bikes that it is a bad idea if you want your bike to be covered by a factory warranty. Which most people who have their bikes powdercoated or painted by someone other than the factory dont know.

The two year mfg defect warranty is one thing, but to void any kind of crash replacement or as santacruz calls it "No Fault Warranty" is a whole other beast.

That and the fact that this is a public forum where people are free to share their opinions.

·
Registered
207 Posts
So what you're saying is if I get new bearings and repaint my seven year old Bullit it's a new bike? Does any color negate the aluminum fatigue ? Or only orange? I don't like orange so much. How about black? A brand new black Bullit would be so sweet. Thanks

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK everyone, chill out.

I painted my bike, and I'm happy with it. If you don't like it, bugger off PLEASE.

I would very much like to keep it, but in support of my best friend who is a new shop owner, I have decide to try and sell. It will most likely go to someone locally for very cheap. And for what it's worth, the bike now LOOKS new, and structurally is not far off either.

Again, for those interested in checking out the new powder coat, pictures to come soon. For everyone else, beat it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.