Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been thinking about getting a Syntace F99 for a while but i use a 660mm wide bar. The F99 has a 610mm limit. I emailed syntace and got this back:

"thank you for your interest in our products. The F99 is a very light weight stem with thin wall thickness and designed for XC use. In this application area bars of up to 580 or a max of 600mm are generally used. This is why we optimized the stem for bars of up to 610mm. Using a wider bar will, due to the leverage, exert greater forces than those for which it was designed and with which we have done extensive testing. This is why we cannot give a warranty if a wider bar is used. If you want to use a wider bar, we strongly recommend using the F139.

After having said this, the F99 will however not ‘break’ or fracture due to the wider bar, but will flex more under load and may if heavily overloaded show a ‘twist’ deformation before it would break.

I hope this answers your question sufficiently.

Kind regards****

Is anyone running a wider bar on a F99 ?

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know - just have the opportunity for an F99 and ive wanted one for ages!

I cant understand how you guys all use 580mm bars etc ! Must be twichy as hell. Everyones own preferrence i guess.

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
About a year ago a buddy of mine was showing me how much torque he could apply to an Easton EA70 stem with 25" low riser bars, standing in front of the bike you can visibly see the the horizon line for the bars change by about 10 deg peak to peak. That made me realize that the idea of a bar width limit was no joke. And some stems were noodles.

I know I even find 580mm a touch narrow on flat bars, I keep trying to find the 600 or 610mm versions, but they are as rare as frog hair. Even for the companies that make them, no one ever keeps them in stock. The 550mm or560mm flat bars feel road bike narrow to me now. The FSA OS-99 CSI stem seems to be quite stiff for flat bars.

A few years ago one of the XC racers in one of the local shops gave me some grief about my 22.5" flat bars, pointing out the difference in being able to breathe better with the wider bars. He was about the same size as me, he challenged me to try a pair of flat bars 24" wide to see if he wasn't right. I picked up a set of bars and it did feel like driving a bus for the first ride or two, but it did open up the chest more and did make it easier to breathe on climbs. Placebo effect? I don't know, but I have stuck with a 600mm or 24" wide bar on my hardtails since then. A narrow bar likely works OK for smaller riders with narrower shoulders, but at 6'-1" in height, 24" bar width seems to be a good match.

On a 4" travel FS a 25" low rise bar feels about right, a 24" bar feels too narrow for handling. On my 6" FS bike, a 26" bar feels right.

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
Hand/of/Midas said:
your using that FSA os-99, and you say its really stiff right? that things pretty light if i remeber correctly, but you'd know better than me.
The irony is that the standard OS-99 without the carbon is spec'd at 98gms, the carbon wrapped OS-99 CSI version is spec'd at 118gms, but the carbon is where the stiffness seems to come from, so I'll take that 20gm hit.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Thats usually the case though, the carbon wrap comes in i thinkg 1) for looks 2) for stiffness 3) for vibration dampening. 20g isnt that big of hit if the ride difference is noticeably better for you.

Man im realizing how heavy my RF next sl low rise bar and RF next sl seatpost are...

·
Waiting for Godot
1,054 Posts
it also depends on your weight, riding style and terrain.

i am 5'10", 150 but have the backround and legs of a track sprinter, riding on rough xc trails.

i can flex or feel flex in most lighter weight bars, but have yet to break one. my buddy who weighs 190 has broken alot of middle weight bars on flat smooth trails. it is subjective to variables.

IMO if your are middle "weight" and "riding style" that the 660 bars will flex some and should last. if you use barends or are a stronger rider or weigh more you are beyond a smart desicion and are risking bar/stem failure weather it happens or not.

snapping a bar or stem is usually tramatic to the rider. catching one before it snaps is rare. many people on this part of the forum get away with lighter parts, but it is a roulet wheel.

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
Tiffster said:
Anyhooo back on topic - what do you guys think ? Reckon it would be ok or mega flexy ?
If you want to use the F99, try a narrower bar. Something like the Syntace Duraflite Superbend at 600mm or the KCNC SC Bone Flat bar at 600mm. Or trim your favorite down to 610mm and ride within the XC specs the stem was designed for by Syntace.

If you want the light stem, follow the company's strict advice.:eek:

BB (I enjoy bars ranging from 580mm to 660mm, but usually ride 600mm for XC racing).

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
I'll be the black sheep here and say that I have no issues running the F99 (90mm, or 105) on my 660mm bars (carbon salsa). I've also run back to back the Salsa scandium 90 stem with it and see no issues. I've run the older WCS stem as well. This is on a 29'er SS.
I will say that I specifically run the carbon bar for some added give when on the really rough sections.
I run bar ends as well, and hammer on the bars for the last 28 mos without issue yet. Many a times, you're out of the saddle wrenching on the bar ends going up a 35 degree pitch, you'd think there had to be flex. At those times, your mind is elsewhere...

I have been running the Salsa for the last year. I'll switch out to the F99 this weekend and see if I notice anything.

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
Tiffster said:
Rensho what do you weigh ?
165lbs riding.

My FS has a 80mm 31.8 with a OS alu bar, around 610mm. What I notice with that is the discomfort of the alu OS bar. My hands take a pounding, even though the bike is FS, and my 29SS is a HT or fully rigid. It is not reasonable to compare the setups between the two bikes, so I won't go there.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.