Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
SALLGUD
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a factory fresh Fox F80X a couple weeks ago (eBay.com). Had my LBS install it. When I tried to set it up per the manual (and supplement), it reacted like a regular fork and appeared to not lock out at any time. I don't believe the inertia valve is functioning at all.

I had the fork set at 85psi (I weigh 230) and the Threshold Adjustment knob set at full cw position. It bobs. I moved the TA knob a couple clicks ccw. It bobs. I went for a ride on my local trail which has numerous roots and small rocks. I could feel a valve opening and closing to let the fork react to bumps, but as soon as I stood up, it bobbed.

I called Fox Tech Support and after the usual questions, they asked me the serial number (03357-76586-X-AM) and the guy told me to send it in with a bike shop receipt. I told him I didn't have one. He then told me that that was a problem with buying off eBay. I was not covered under warrranty. He quoted me a starting shop price of $60 plus shipping. Said the bill could top out at over $300!

Anyone have any advice?

Michael

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
My f100x acted like a "normal" for about 30 seconds last week. Called Fox. Said it might've had an air bubble in it.
I bet the previous owner changed the oil and did it wrong. Probably didn't cycle the rod and has air inside. That's my guess.

·
A hopped on pop.
1,397 Posts
hmmm...

if you can ask the seller how it performed before they sold it to you, and WHO serviced it...that would help. i know you said it was "factory fresh", but you never know, the seller may have a "lbs fresh" fork. ask them nicely, like you're not looking for them to flip the bill, but just trying to get the fork working properly. if they had a lbs do the work, i'm pretty sure they botched it.

like DanK siad, check the oil levels and make sure you cycle the shafts to get all the air and of the cartridges. also, if you can do it yourself, and you do need a new cartridge, i think they sell for about $150.

cheers and good luck.

azdrawdy said:
I purchased a factory fresh Fox F80X a couple weeks ago (eBay.com). Had my LBS install it. When I tried to set it up per the manual (and supplement), it reacted like a regular fork and appeared to not lock out at any time. I don't believe the inertia valve is functioning at all.

I had the fork set at 85psi (I weigh 230) and the Threshold Adjustment knob set at full cw position. It bobs. I moved the TA knob a couple clicks ccw. It bobs. I went for a ride on my local trail which has numerous roots and small rocks. I could feel a valve opening and closing to let the fork react to bumps, but as soon as I stood up, it bobbed.

I called Fox Tech Support and after the usual questions, they asked me the serial number (03357-76586-X-AM) and the guy told me to send it in with a bike shop receipt. I told him I didn't have one. He then told me that that was a problem with buying off eBay. I was not covered under warrranty. He quoted me a starting shop price of $60 plus shipping. Said the bill could top out at over $300!

Anyone have any advice?

Michael

·
SALLGUD
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is new

Guess I should have just stated that the fork was "new" rather than "factory fresh". The F80X was brand new. The fork had never had a headset race installed, or the steerer tube cut. The reason I took it to the LBS was to have a CK race installed. I just didn't get a manual or (unfortunately!) a receipt with the fork purchase.

That said, I bit the bullet today and sent it to Fox. I read in the forum that some others have had great experiences with Fox's repair department so off it went. Even if it cost me a couple hundred bucks, I will be ahead.

Michael

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Treybiker said:
I hope it's nothing serious. I've got a 2005 F100X on the way and can't wait to try it out. It's an expensive fork, but from everybody that's tried it they absolutly love it!
It's a very good fork for xc purposes. I can't go back to a regular fork. Came off a talas 125rlc but sprinting and brake dive were my big peeves. The 100X is so simple; I can't believe they charge that much. Fortunately I had a guy want my rlc and I got into the X for $40 out of my pocket. I don't think I'd buy it if I was starting from scratch. Too much $$$.

·
(aka SS_MB-7)
924 Posts
Same thing happened with my 2-week old F80X. The TerraLogic feature *seemed* to work initially, but then stopped working. This allowed the fork to remain open at all times no matter the setting of the TerraLogic. I sent my fork back to the Canadian Authorized Fox Service Center (Velocycle) for warranty.

When I got my fork back (very quickly, I might add), the fork had been completely overhauled, the TerraLogic/rebound cartridge replaced and the complete steerer/crown/stanchion assembly was replaced. The replacement of the steerer/crown/stanchion was a shock to me, so when I questioned Velocycle, they indicated they heard cracking coming from the assembly, so they replaced it. Cool! And, as an added bonus, the infamous Fox clunk was gone!

My warrantied fork does seem to be working. It does not completely lock-out, but the compression damping really increases. I can still compress the fork, but it does take some effort. Also, when the fork is quickly tapped on the ground and then compressed, I can easily feel that the fork is open. Once the fork is allowed to extend and I re-compress, it becomes very difficult to push down.

My new F100X seems to be working perfectly out-of-the-box, but does have the annoying Fox clunk...but I've not noticed it at all while riding.

·
Registered
72 Posts
No slurp, no lock out.

During the Iron Hill race (Newark Delaware) the inertia valve in my 2004 F100X failed. It was locking in & out with the usual slurp for about 75% of the race. The trails were very, very, muddy and I was happy that the fork was doing it thing allowing me to focus on the ride. Then came the last bit of race, a flat twisty section that I noticed the fork hadn't locked out for. In the parking lot I could bounce the front at will: the lockout was (and still is) ineffective. I adjust threshold setting to the maximum and tested it there in the parking lot. I could easily compress the fork just standing there - no lockout. I adjusted the fork to the minimum settings and tested again - same result: the fork compressed with a simple push. I repeated the tests a few more times allowing for longer wait period between adjustment and testing in case ithe forx needed some time to reset: still no lockout. No slurp, no lock out.

Does any one have any ideas before I panic?

I'll plan to calling my local LBS Monday. I bought the fork there and they have always taken good care of me. I hope it just a air bubble.

·
"Excellent!"
83 Posts
The reason why your fox inertia valves are sticking is because the valve has a zero tolerance for debris when in the open position, and if anything gets lodged in the valve it stays open. Normally an inertial-valve system can tollarate small amounts of debris, but the design of the Fox doesnt have a mechanism to hydrauliclly force the inertial weight open or closed, unlike the "x chamber" found on the Stratos ID.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Shocknerd said:
The reason why your fox inertia valves are sticking is because the valve has a zero tolerance for debris when in the open position, and if anything gets lodged in the valve it stays open. Normally an inertial-valve system can tollarate small amounts of debris, but the design of the Fox doesnt have a mechanism to hydrauliclly force the inertial weight open or closed, unlike the "x chamber" found on the Stratos ID.
Now that's an answer I can live with. Thanks!

·
Registered
594 Posts
danK said:
Now that's an answer I can live with. Thanks!
Yeah, that's the answer, but what can we do to prevent debris? Boots?

No way to install any decent boot unless the fork is taken completly apart. Might as well ride it until it fails, the install, right?

I'm not riding mine yet(no frame), but fear I might have problems.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
brewdog said:
Yeah, that's the answer, but what can we do to prevent debris? Boots?

No way to install any decent boot unless the fork is taken completly apart. Might as well ride it until it fails, the install, right?

I'm not riding mine yet(no frame), but fear I might have problems.
Hi,
The fork takes about 10 minutes to take apart and put back together (once you have it off the bike). Okay, truth: the first time it took me about an hour to do everything but I don't read directions, so....
I took it apart again to check for debris and found nothing major, but still rinsed the inertia valve rod thoroughly.
And following instructions is key (say what?). Fox's manual is pretty dang good and their phone help is good too.
But I will also admit that my fork did the full active mode after a long rainy ride (I think the post is above) so obviously gunk got in. Boots: good sense, so don't be afraid to take the fork apart.

·
"Excellent!"
83 Posts
The Fox isnt just sensitive to foriegn debris, but also during asembly. From what I've heard they have to assemble these things on a glass table to make sure nothing gets in. So, if it is not working as soon as you get it, theres stuff in it from assembly, but if it sticks open after a ride in the rain or something, chances are something got in after you got it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.