Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I have a 1999 F700 that I really enjoy a lot. It still has the original Coda cranks and chainrings, and they are getting pretty tired. The BB needs to be replaced too.

I was thinking of upgrading to a modern Shimano LX or XT crankset. Has anyone else out there tried this kind of upgrade? Will newer cranksets work? The BB is 68mm x 110mm

Thanks in advance for any responses...:)

·
Registered
197 Posts
Newer outboard bearing cranks, like LX and XT, will work great and they're a snap to install. They will however move the chainline out slightly but I haven't experienced any problems with this. If you want to save some money and get a great shifting crank, get the M532/542 Deore's. The chainring's pins and ramps are identical to the LX but you get a steel middle ring and it is slightly heavier.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Shimano LX

I installed a Shimano FC-M580 (LX) crankset on my 1994 Delta V 1000--replacing the original Sugino/CODA parts. The new cranks just work and the weight was within my budget.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.!

How do the new style bottom brackets that come with the cranksets (LX and XT) install vs the old 68 x110mm square spindle. I'm guessing the new-style BB's are universal? Sorry for being in the stone-age with my crank knowledge...:)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
square taper cranks for 110mm spindle?

My friend ended up having an unused Shimano bottom bracket in the original size for the bike (68mm x 110mm.) It went on the bike with no problems. My issue now is that there doesn't seem to be a lot of choices for square taper cranks.

I'd like to basically attach some new cranks with minimal hassle. (i.e. not get into issues with chainlines, shifting, etc.) Here are a couple I've found that would seem to work...

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/CR307A06-Fsa+Dynadrive+Sq+Taper+C-Set+Crankset.aspx?sc=FRGL

http://www.bikesonline.com/index.php?page_URL=Shimano-M442-175mm-22-32-44-black-no-chainguard

Any other suggestions or has anyone upgraded their square taper cranks? I know these are not fancy cranks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.