Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the ELO on my 2001 F4000SL seems to have given up. Can anyone tell me the options? Maybe someone has the ELO electronics for sale?
Do I need to remove the ELO components and renew with manual controls? (is this even possible?) If not, is it possible to renew the internals, retaining the carbon/titanium fork body?
..All else functions correctly, no leaks, etc, so I could just manage without the ELO

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
f4000SL_UK said:
the ELO on my 2001 F4000SL seems to have given up. Can anyone tell me the options? Maybe someone has the ELO electronics for sale?
Do I need to remove the ELO components and renew with manual controls? (is this even possible?) If not, is it possible to renew the internals, retaining the carbon/titanium fork body?
..All else functions correctly, no leaks, etc, so I could just manage without the ELO
New ELO internals go for really cheap on ebay.

·
Registered
792 Posts
f4000SL_UK said:
It was working without fault. The next time I tried it.. nothing. No LED's showing. I have tried the battery. The leads apear OK. It seems that the electronics are sealed and unservicable
Make sure you use a Lithium Ion 9 volt battery. When I replaced mine years ago, a regular 9 volt wouldnt work. I got the Lithium Ion from Radio Shack and it worked, no problem.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've had 2 problems that might cause what has happened to your ELO.
1. - Somehow the wires managed to become disconnected inside the shaft - there's a little plug; simple fix if you can remove and dismantle the cartridge, but be careful of twisting - it twists the wires up untill they pull out of the solder on the motor.
2. disconnected motor and gearbox. The ELO has 3 parts - the electronics up top, the motor and the gearbox. The motor and gearbox are buried in the cartridge shaft and are only press fit together. Mine eventually vibrated apart so that you could hear the motor spinning, but the lockout didn't engage. The solution is simple - dismantle and put back together.
Kudos to the guys from eighty-aid - I wrote to them and they told me how to fix the last one.

If you've got absolutely nothing happening when you press the button I'd start dissasembling and checking connections, or send it to someone who can.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.