Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, im kind of new to this forum so excuse me if I seem a little "noobish".
I am going to be building up a new Niner Air 9 in kermit green this winter and I am at a loss as to which fork I should get. I was wondering if I could really justify the extra $300 on an F29 over the Reba. I will be doing quite a few races over the summer in Wisconsin and am fairly light weight (if that even makes a difference on forks) at about 130 lbs and my height is between 5'10 and 5'11. If it makes and dif. the bike will be built up with Elixir CRs stans 355s laced to Dt 240s, sram x.9, Truvativ Noir crank, Ritchey wcs stem, bar, and seatpost, and a few Specialized parts like tires, saddle, and grips because I work at a Specialized/Niner shop.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I recently got a Reba SL and really like it, similar weight and height to you and really enjoy the ride. I run much higher pressure than recommended to get the ride I want but it works great. My brakes are 203 BB7's and there is a slight amount of fork flex under hard braking but not too much.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the response, is your fork a new Reba? (09')
sorry, i also forgot to say that I usually ride pretty technical stuff, not a lot of big downhills but quite a lot climbing, and one of the race courses has a lot of braking bumps (hoping the 29 inch wheels will smooth those out for next year)

·
The Other Dude
3,080 Posts
I have the Reba SL on my Stumpy 29er and the Fox F29 on my Superfly, and i have to say that i like the Reba better than the fox, i know MANY others will say different, but the reba just feels better to me.

·
Vaginatarian
5,686 Posts
Padre said:
No loss necessary.

The Reba is cheaper and has a remote lock-out. It's plain, simple, and less supple, more linear.

The Fox is plush, much more stiff, more expensive and has no remote lock-out.

My wife and I used to have 4 Reba's between us, now we have 0.
the new Rebas are much better than the old , dont need the lockout
IMO the Reba and Niner are made for each other

·
Registered
74 Posts
the fox has a remote lockout as an option now, but IMO the fox is way better, it is more plush, more adjustable, stiffer and bomb proof. even though it is not on the Reba's Rock Shox had to recall three of their forks this year for bad seals. Never had any problem like that on ANY of my 6 different Fox forks or multiple different rear shocks

·
Vaginatarian
5,686 Posts
bdcombs said:
the fox has a remote lockout as an option now, but IMO the fox is way better, it is more plush, more adjustable, stiffer and bomb proof. even though it is not on the Reba's Rock Shox had to recall three of their forks this year for bad seals. Never had any problem like that on ANY of my 6 different Fox forks or multiple different rear shocks
hmm fox never has issues? I call BS do a search on dhx5 and rp23 stuck down issues
and I actually own 2 Rebas and 2 fox and Ive never had any issues or recalls

how can you claim the fox is stiffer, more plush and more adjustable without even trying a 09 Reba ,the reba has pos & neg air pressure, rebound, small bump , blow off etc. what adjustment does Fox have that reba doesnt?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
im not so much worried about the remote lockout on either because I know I can get the option on the Fox, and since I have a Poploc on my Recon that is on my Rockhopper I can just switch that over to the Reba and put the turnkey lockout onto my Recon since I won't be riding that as much anymore.

ps-the rockhopper was my first mountain bike other than some walmart cheapies because I'm only a freshmen in high school so I couldn't afford the nicer ones

·
Registered
139 Posts
RedRider93 - I have both and would take the Fox over the Reba 7 to 1. It points better and inspires more confidence. The Reba is a good fork - the Fox is an awesome fork. Skimp on something else to make up the difference if you need to you can always upgrade the skimped part later. It's harder to switch the fork out later.

That's my opinion.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I am very happy with my 09 Reba SL. And I come from a Fox fork (although 26").

The 09 has less flex than the previous years (compared with friends' Rebas).

The small bump compliance is very good.

And money was not an issue on my new build. Although color was :)

·
Registered
370 Posts
Reba or Minute

I've had three Rebas. Only reason I got ride of one of them was because I needed the money. Personally, I think its a great fork. And, if you are planning to do all the work on the fork your self (seals, oil...) the Reba is the easiest to work with.

For the money, the Reba (especially the new one) is a great fork.

If it were me, I'd get the Manitou which Jensen has for $268 right now (great price!). There have been some issues (noises I believe), but I think they are pretty easy to fix. I believe (Padre chime in if you like) that Madre now rides the Manitou.

·
Registered
187 Posts
If you don't own an 09 Reba then don't comment, as the old Reba and 09 are not in the same ball park. The 09 Reba and Fox are very similer in overall stiffness, but in plushness and adjustability i have to go with the Reba. The dual air set-up is limitless, from super plush to firm.
Then consider the price, how is the Fox $200 or so more ???? When the 09 Reba is on par, if not a better fork. I do like my Fox, but head to head with the 09 Reba and considering the price............Hands down the Reba.
Then again i also have the Manitou Absolute, which has been outstanding. Stiff and super plush, easy to work on and simple to set-up.
If i were to get a new fork i would first get the Manitou, the price @ Jenson is crazy low for a product as good as this fork. If money was no problem, then i would go Reba, and still have extra money for other bike parts.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
just so you guys know, i'm not really concerned with the prices on the internet because I get a crazy good discount on brand new arts where I work which is even better than that jensen one, but thanks for thinking about the prices for me.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I had a Fox F29 and currently have an 09 Reba. I sold the Fox because I could never get close to full travel with it. It was set to 100mm but I could only get 80 or so. Why pay that much money for a fork that doesn't give you what you expect?

The 09 Reba is a great fork. I will be buying another one for my next bike. The Fox is a good fork and I would have kept it if I could have gotten full travel.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.