Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 F2 29er with the Lefty Speed DLR 80. I bought the bike at LBS in Gilbert AZ in Feb 2009 and within 30 days the Lefty was leaking oil so badly that I the LBS had to send it back to Cannondale. It took 6 weeks to get it back (during prime riding season in AZ) and now it's leaking again!!

I feel like the LBS was a bunch of jerks not giving be any status updates, loaners, etc. during that time and then they charged me shipping (insult to injury)!

There is one other Cannondale dealer locally in Tempe Arizona where I've been taking my bike but that's been for little things. I know it should still be under warranty (I've owned it less than a year) but I cant trust the LBS to handle this in a timely manner.

The lefty is holding air and seems to work OK, but the oil leak has gotten pretty bad and I don't want to damage it.

I'm 250lbs and ride it pretty hard. AZ has LOTS of rocks and drops on my favorite trails and the 29er soaks those up like a champ so I don't want to get rid of it.

Should I get this Lefty fixed? or sell it as is and get some conventional forks and forget the whole mess?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Where is the oil leak? My '08 was leaking from the top around the red rebound knob. Had it fixed.

You should have it fixed. Talk to the other shop. Find out if they can handle the service.

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,486 Posts
Did you get a breakdown as to what was repaired?

I've seen a number o factory fixed forks that have had loose cartridge caps, etc. Little stuff, but frustrating. I also doubt your shop was too malicious in their intent. Unless you pay for expedited service, it's going to be at least a week or two in house, plus a week there, a week back, 6 weeks happens pretty fast.

If you can't find a shop that will rmove the cartridge and find out where the leak is coming from, you're kinda left with trusting it to Cannondale again, unless you want to just deal with it on your own.

The forks work great, I wouldn't sell it just because of this....

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Craig,

Yes, when it went back to Cannondale the first time it was supposed to be fully rebuilt. I think it was. I believe I called you back then and asked about the seepage around the lower boot. If I recall you said it wasn't a big deal and to forget about it and ride, so I did. Now I'm over 1000 miles into this fork and it's leaking badly again.

I was more p.o.'ed at the LBS for telling me 3 weeks and it turning into 6, moreover at that time I'd had the bike only about 5 weeks. No loaner was offered, and no real help; a truly crappy experience.

At any rate I'm not really sure what to do at this point. I'm afraid to have it rebuilt again, just to get to a point later where it's leaking again. That leak is more than I bargained for and I expected better of what should be a high end part. The action seems good, but the leak is a PITA.

Is there a way to get a manual for this thing and find out where to get parts? Maybe it's not such a big deal if I know how to fix it myself and not have to wait for weeks on end.

·
Registered
159 Posts
poor iggy said:
sounds like you got poor service from cdale. I had a 2007 26" cdale with a bad lefty shock and they sent a new one to my lbs and cdale rebuilt the old one.
Same deal here. The Lefty on my 2007 Rush 5 had issues. It wouldn't hold air, leaked oil and the lockout didn't work. My local LBS tried to service it (unsuccessfully) and when I brought it back in, they swapped it for me with a brand new Lefty direct from Cannondale.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.