Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know some of you have similar experiences in other parts of the US.

This is my little space to vent, to poke, and to provoke thought.

F*ck Muddy Horseshoes

Here's a photo from the park that ignited the idea. It seems that some equestrians would greatly prefer to ride the trails instead of build/maintain them.

And some (not all, of course) really don't mind if the trail is a bog or not.

I know the MTB community has the same brainless idiots riding wet trails (when they could wait a few days for them to dry out), but we tend to maintain the trails to compensate for our own rogues.

f*MH

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
In my neck of the woods in a "free range state" the equestrian groups tend to be pretty active in maintaining the trails they use. Sorry to hear you have problems (and you can take that any and every way you want).

Idiots are idiots no matter what form of recreation they prefer.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually, that's great news. From my experience here in MO it's been the opposite except for 2-3 that showed up once to a workday, who were very nice people.

I'd like to hear other people's views/experiences on the issue. Maybe it's a localized problem. It also wouldn't be "much" of a problem in states where there is little rainfall or cold winters.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,812 Posts
Yes, huge problem out here in the summer monsoon season. This is arizona. Dry most of the year and winter, but this is during the summer.

Attachments

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,812 Posts
More trail destruction.

Attachments

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,812 Posts
Damn, posting these pictures is getting me pissed at the equestrians again.

This is just insane. It rains here, and they figure that it must be a great time to go out and ride, rather than wait a few days or a week for a dry spell.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
horses

I never see them on trail maintenance days, or when we have built a new trail. Not to say they have not showed up. But I have never seen any. We just built a section of trail in MD and horses proptly messed it up fairly bad. I would say about 90% of them that I meet on the trail are nice, but like rouge MTBers there are some that I would like to..... well you know. I just wish the parks would make the riders clean up after their horses. Like they do dogs.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,812 Posts
dogonfr said:
Now that would be the right thing for them to do. They can carry horsey poo bags with folding shovles. Last weekend there was too much horse sheot on the trails.
Until that time at which they are required to clean up, take a crap on their hood when the trailhead is empty of persons....

·
paintbucket
2,825 Posts
Yay! A witch hunt! Lets tar all equestrians with the same brush! Hell, who cares that most probably don't go out there when they'll trash the trails. Hey, I've got an idea, lets ***** and moan about it here on a public forum instead of trying to engage them and explain why what horses do to trails makes them pretty much unrideable on a trail bike. Yeah, that's the ticket. If we're really lucky some of them will read this thread. Then we'll have actively driven some wedges between us and other trail users. That oughta fix the problem.

·
Want to vent?
654 Posts
I always keep this photo and a few others to throw at the land manager if we ever have a horse issue... :)

We finally, as you can see, got them to make their on trails......i agree if you dont live in the real wet it probably isnt as bad.........they slosh up some serious mud and holes from their horseshoe prints

·
just along for the ride
3,033 Posts
Strange horse riders here are very friendly mostly healthy grinnin gals that yield and always control their steeds as they blow chunks at ya. Kind of OK but it does not stop me from ringing the MF bell as fast as I can as decending the singletrack, life is still OK in CA ;)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
wooglin said:
Yay! A witch hunt! Lets tar all equestrians with the same brush! Hell, who cares that most probably don't go out there when they'll trash the trails. Hey, I've got an idea, lets ***** and moan about it here on a public forum instead of trying to engage them and explain why what horses do to trails makes them pretty much unrideable on a trail bike. Yeah, that's the ticket. If we're really lucky some of them will read this thread. Then we'll have actively driven some wedges between us and other trail users. That oughta fix the problem.
If you read my post you'd see that I only have a problem with equestrians riding wet trails. I'm completely fine with equestrians users in general - I can even deal with the horse crap.

I'm not painting all equestrian users with the same brush. I'm only highlighting an issue that isn't spoken about much in public places.

Mountain bikers got the hate from other groups many years ago about tearing up the trails and that "public talk" churned out some great mtb advocacy groups that maintain a ton of trail throughout the US.

I know for a fact that if MTBers didn't build/maintain trail in st. louis there would be next to no new multi-use trail and little maintenance.

==

Most equestrians users here are friendly, nice folk. You can be nice, have a great personality, be a hot as hell female, but riding on wet trails is the issue. I've been told that tearing up the trail is good for it because it turns over the soil and can slow erosion because of the uneven hoof wear. Not to say that this increases erosion issues in most instances.

==

The trails at one local horse-heavy park are slowly being converted to sustainable trail to help offset the erosion issues that wet trail riding can cause.

·
beer thief
4,931 Posts
wooglin said:
So are you saying the equestrians in your area actually clean up their sh!t?

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts
crashmasta said:
I never see them on trail maintenance days, or when we have built a new trail. Not to say they have not showed up. But I have never seen any. We just built a section of trail in MD and horses proptly messed it up fairly bad. I would say about 90% of them that I meet on the trail are nice, but like rouge MTBers there are some that I would like to..... well you know. I just wish the parks would make the riders clean up after their horses. Like they do dogs.
just curious, have you ever contacted your local horse user group to INVITE them to a trail work day? Or let them know your club would be willing to show up on one of THIER trail days?

We've got a really good working relationship with the local Backcounty Horsemen organization. Sure, each user group probably secretly wishes the other would ultimately dissapear, but that is not realistic. We recently thought we were going to have to move a half dozen yards of gravel by hand ( wheelbarrow) over 1/2 a mile, for a trail project, and it's pretty darn cool when the guys offered to show up with thier Percherons, who could each carry #400 of gravel, to help us out.

formica

·
the wrench
469 Posts
i think exclusion in some areas would be good. in the trails that i ride you can tell hoarses have been there 90% of the time because their hooves constantly leave divits in the dry hardpack if thare is any type of grade to the trail; which is 90% of the trail. there divits then lead to erosion and sandy spots. as mtb's hit these divits it only amplifies the problem and creates more erosion because of what the horses started. i can point out at least two sections of noce flowy trail where i ride that are now full of ruts and potholes because of horses.

·
paintbucket
2,825 Posts
radair said:
So are you saying the equestrians in your area actually clean up their sh!t?
I grew up in farm country. Horse poop doesn't bother me much. And yeah, I don't like it when trails get chewed up by horses, but threads like this don't do much, if anything, to actually solve the problem. That's my point.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.