Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Redline Monocog 29er with a fixed seat post clamp that keeps sliding down during a ride. I was thinking of maybe crimping the seat tube of the frame a bit (its got a notch cut out of the front to allow it to compress) but don't really want to screw anything up.

How have you corrected this?

·
Registered
524 Posts
1) Make sure there is a lot of grease inside the seat tube, if not whack some in.
2) Take out your seat post on the trail, get a handful of dirt and lightly coat it.

Sometimes with manufacturing either the seat tube or seat post can be slightly off. In this case sometimes a shim or larger seatpost diameter may work. But I'd take it to the LBS before committing to a new purchase.

·
Maaaaan
4,259 Posts
You may have a undersized seat post.
Notice how close the sizing is.
26.8 mm
27 mm
27.2 mm
30.9 mm
31.6 mm
You may have a 27 mm post in a 27.2 mm seat tube for example.
You may also have a seat post clamp that is the wrong size for the outside diameter of the seat tube.

Later, Eric.

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
45,883 Posts
Ericmopar said:
You may have a undersized seat post.
Notice how close the sizing is.
26.8 mm
27 mm
27.2 mm
30.9 mm
31.6 mm
You may have a 27 mm post in a 27.2 mm seat tube for example.
You may also have a seat post clamp that is the wrong size for the outside diameter of the seat tube.

Later, Eric.
I agree with Eric this is a common mistake.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not doubting you guys, but shouldn't it have the correct parts on it since it was a built-up bike and not a frame that the shop put together?

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
45,883 Posts
Dave In Florida said:
I'm not doubting you guys, but shouldn't it have the correct parts on it since it was a built-up bike and not a frame that the shop put together?
Well hopefully, but people do make mistakes. The builder may have grabbed the wrong size and installed it. Seeing how the tolerances are so close, it some times is not noticeable until it is ridden for awhile. Take the bike back and have them check it. Better yet take it to another bike shop first and have them check it. I would highly suggest not riding it like this any longer before figuring out the solution. You are at high risk of cracking your frame in that area if you continue riding it like that.

·
Don't skid
1,160 Posts
majura said:
2) Take out your seat post on the trail, get a handful of dirt and lightly coat it.
I would advise against this. If your like me and are constantly rasing and lower your your seat during rides the dirt + grease will act like sandpaer and over time bore out the seattube on your frame. That wouldn't be too good. This might not be an issue if you keep your seat at the same hieght all the time but I still wouldn't do it myself.

Also, aluminium from your favorite beer can makes a good, cheap shim.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I had the same problem,
Turned out to be my seat post collar slot didn't line up with the tube slot...
I had it bass ackwards.

Works much better now.

·
Legend
1,287 Posts
I had this problem on my Superlight (30.9 or whatever I believe, not that it really matters). I found that adding or removing grease really made no difference. What "DID" make a difference, however, was greasing the little screw that tightens the clamp.

I found that the bolt was binding, giving me a false indication of tightness. Basically, I was putting 65in·lb of force without grease and the seatpost was sliding. When I greased the bolt, it now only requires just over 40in·lb and the seat hasn't budged in a few months (since I figured out this "trick").

·
Registered
132 Posts
I finally solved the creeping seet post once and for all. Purchase a seat tube clamp that is the same size as the post, or as close as possible. Dremel off the ridge that is machined onto the clamp. Place it on the post above the original clamp and it acts as a stop and you won't be forced to overtighten the clamp. I also slide an O ring in between to stop the metal to metal contact. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
576 Posts
what worked for me.

Mine used to slip. My problem was I didn't have it tight enough. Make sure everything is clean and well greased, including the cam on your clamp. Then get the thing as tight as you can. i.e. if you can close the thing without pushing fairly hard on it you may want to make it tighter.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I have this same problem on my hybird but not on my mtn bike. My hybird has the allen wrench type (don't know how else to explain it) closure. Is it possible to put the old fashion close do hickey on it?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.