Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
A little south of sanity
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello i recently aquired an older Cannondale F 700. it is like a 98 model. I wanted a good bike but I can't keep a bike indoors in my current living conditions so buying a brand new upper end bike didn't make alot of sense to me. However, buing another Department store bike Didn't make alot of sense to me either. I picked this bike up and I wondered if anyone knew theese bikes? Looking at the design I'd venture to call it more a trail or maybe XC bike than anything. I'm just looking for some info on this bike, and maybe someone else here owns one. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
919 Posts
I could be wrong but I think the F 700 is a women's specific frame... Are you a woman? And even if your not, as long as it fits well, the F 700 should suit your needs. Cannondale makes an excellent bike. My roady is a CAAD9 Aluminum, and I love it. Congrats on the new bike!

·
A little south of sanity
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a mens bike top tube and all, so maybe its a diffrent model and F 700 just comes to mind. I am excited to get out and ride again, I have been itching to ride for the whole month or so I've been in Japan. I bought the bike and am getitng it tuned up and ride ready by a LBS here, its been in storage for a long time so I figured a tune up would be a good idea. Being still fairly new to the sport I want to ensure the bike is gone over good before i venture out on it.

·
Registered
919 Posts
No no, I could be wrong about it being women's specific. And like I said, who really cares. As long as it fits. Buying an old, used Cannondale is WAY smarter than buying a K-Mart Huffy... Good luck with it, and post pics when you get it back from the LBS.

·
A little south of sanity
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks a bunch! you guys are the best! That bike looks like mine, except the parts u obviously changed out.hey what kind or I should say, what size aftermarket fork fits it? I'd like to repalce the C'dale one with something better, but I dont know really what to look for or ask for when it comes to size and whatnot.

·
Registered
300 Posts
If you want to put a different fork on the bike you will need a headset reducer. There are a couple of different brands available, I don't remember which I have. Then you can run a standard headset and any fork you want. The biggest limit will be finding a decent fork that runs v-brakes and not just discs. Go to your LBS and they should be able to set you up. Good luck, how about some pics when you get a chance.

·
A little south of sanity
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Again, thanks for all of your help everyone. I picked up my bike today from the guy, only took it for a short 3 minute ride to the shop, unfortunatly I was running late so didn't have alot of time to evaluate the ride yet. Its nice and light though, I noticed that right away. My other bike is a full suspension and a hefty 40 lbs, so this being my first higher end hard tail you can imagine, how much a diffrence it felt to me.

I do have some questions for anyone who feels like having their 2 cents thrown in. The headshock, It dosen't apear to have much travel, I noticed the adjustment knob at the top of it, right atop the stem, but is this a good system, or should I be keeping my eyes open for a good deal on another fork? The cantiliever brakes feel good to me, so i am probably going to run thoose untill I outride them, because I would need to have a fork that can accomidate discs obviously. is there diffrent grades of Cantiliever brakes, ones that are better than others? The final question I have is how much of a beating have you put your F700 through? I realize Cannondale makes a good bike, and It can probably take more than I can throw at it, but I would like to hear others imput. Thanks for all of your help. I'll be taking pictures thursday when I pick it up from the LBS and take it for a ride. Look forward to alot of riding pics from Japan comming your way.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I'd focus on travel quality than quantity. When I ride my F4 w/ the fatty ultra I rarely if ever miss the extra 30mm of travel of my DLR2 or the 20mm of my Fox F100. Given the age of your frameset, I suspect you may have an older p-bone or elastemer sprung headshok, looking for a used newer airsprung 80mm Headshok would be the route I'd go. They generally sell for around 200ish on ebay and would let you keep your stem and headset. Just my 2 cents...

·
A little south of sanity
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What model or year headshocks are airsprung and 80mm? That sounds like a good straightforward replacement. if anyone knows of any for sale let me know. I'll search through the clasified as well.

·
Super Moderator
6,781 Posts
MTBgreatfalls said:
What model or year headshocks are airsprung and 80mm? That sounds like a good straightforward replacement. if anyone knows of any for sale let me know. I'll search through the clasified as well.
The 80mm Headshoks began in 2004, until now. eBay has the best deals on them currently. Keyword, "cannondale headshok"(no quotes).

·
A little south of sanity
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks a ton! I appoligize for asking so many NOOB questions, I try to do my own research,but I like to know what works from people who have been there. Thanks for all of everyones help!

·
A little south of sanity
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
sweet, found an 80mm Super fatty DL on ebay as soon as someone here says that will fit I am purchasing it. again, sorry for being such a NOOB, I'm learing, and a bit slow at times.., good luck catching me on an uphill sprint though hehe.

·
A little south of sanity
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all of your help, going to get the fork. I can't wait to get the bike out of the shop tommorrow and take it for a good ride to really check it out. One thing cool about Japan is it is a very bike friendly country. Everyone rides around on some kind of bike. I'll post some pictures this weekend showing off the new ride.

·
A little south of sanity
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Got my bike back form thr LBS today! Took it for a good ride arounf the base to check it out. It is an awesome bike for being 11 years old. The bike shop tune up was well worth it. My bike came with Deore LX rear and Deore XT front derailurs and they shift extreemly smooth. I had deore stuff on my other bike, but Maybe this one is just set up better or something, its alot smoother of a drive train than my other. The grip shift, I am still trying to get used to. ( I have always had rapid fires). The position you ride in on this bike is going to take me some getting used to. I think maybe its the handle bars being flat but you seem to ride high and forward on this bike, not sure but, I may buy a diffrent set of bars after I get my new fork in if I can see a good deal on something with a rise to it. I got a Headshok super fatty DL comming my way off of ebay. I looked at the lefty but I figgure since this is an older bike, I should stick with the cost effective upgrades, if i get into needing the travel of the lefty, I will probably have replaced all the other components of the bike by then. I'll be getting some bike pics this weekend to show off to you all. Thanks again for everyones help here.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts