Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
rack admirer
665 Posts
DU bushings

If you are describing DU bushings, (Since everything else unbolts), you need to press them out. Since you don't have a press, you need a bench vise, 2 sockets, and replacement DU bushings. To remove the old, pick a socket like a 9mm where the outside diameter will catch the bushing but still slide inside the shock mount. Then pick a socket like a 14mm where the inside of the socket is broad enough for the bushing to push out through. Set all 3 in the vise and gently align and squeeze. Reverse to reinstall the new bushing.

·
Outcast
8,588 Posts
I don't think Justin is talking about the DU bushings, but the shock eyelets.There are two methods I use, that require specific tools. The easiest for most folks; purchase or borrow a number 4 easy out, which is a tool used for removing broken bolts. Insert it into the eyelet, turn counterclockwise and pull at the same time. This is how push industries removes eyelets. The second method is to clamp the exposed O.D. of the bushing in a smooth jaw vise, rotate and pull to remove.

·
Ride Instigator
3,220 Posts
Renegade said:
I don't think Justin is talking about the DU bushings, but the shock eyelets.There are two methods I use, that require specific tools. The easiest for most folks; purchase or borrow a number 4 easy out, which is a tool used for removing broken bolts. Insert it into the eyelet, turn counterclockwise and pull at the same time. This is how push industries removes eyelets. The second method is to clamp the exposed O.D. of the bushing in a smooth jaw vise, rotate and pull to remove.
A similar method that I use is to clamp the OD of the bushing in the vise and gently tap the shock body with a plastic hammer to dislodge the bushing from the shock.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.