"Double-Barrel" style? :)

·
Thumbs Up!
759 Posts
here is a pair

gabe said:
What ever happened to Caramba cranks and does anybody have a pic of the
i recently sold. They did not look so good, but worked great. I regret selling them :mad:

·
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wish I had been the one to get them.....

I have a pair of the non-double barrel type that are anodized red, very clean look.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Hayyyy CaRaMbA your request is my Comand..

please don't ask me how i got all this CaRambA f^^K ups,, the point is that I have them...

Caramba cranks suffer from two different Illness.

the first was the lack of Cold Forging strengh by just ussing a CNC to cut from a billet block of aluminum...

this lead to a inumerable amount of failures

Also the pedal treads also came un-done all the time, plus sometimes they also crack, sorry i don't have any of those anymore because since i use them all to make other things.
the second issue a far more bizarre is that the "Boring bar" sometimes when on his "own litrtle Journey", producing none concentric holes that end leaving very little wall thickness on one side of the structure to support the cyclist mass and power .

Uppss sorry out of focus

well I think mister mitutoyo can tell you the whole story

the "Good side" at 3.02mm thick

the "Not so good" side at 0.55mm

i quess you get the idea...

here are some of the parts i still have, over the years i use a bunch of them for diferent "pennytech" project, like the silver ones i "put togheter" to be used for a motorcycle Exaust bracket.

sorry if i burst your Bubble...

·
VRC Illuminati
17,650 Posts
They come up for sale on a semi regular basis. You shouldn't have any problems finding some.

If you still want a set after that nice little photo shoot....be my guest.
My guess is their market value just droped a gread deal! :p

·
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Muchas grassyass.......

Now I see............

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Rumpfy said:
They come up for sale on a semi regular basis. You shouldn't have any problems finding some.

If you still want a set after that nice little photo shoot....be my guest.
My guess is their market value just droped a gread deal! :p
Upsss

sorry about that,,
when i got the scraps about 6/7 years ago i have about 30/35pieces all of them broken or damage in similar places with the 3 diferent types..
*B.B. Fubar

*Pedal MegaFubar

*Snap crank,,,oviouslly the most dangerous, If fact i use to know a guy in San francisco with a big scare on his calf after a Caramba crank snap on him and when the piece of the crank left attach to the bottom bracket cut his legs requiring some stiches...

sad they have some great ideas and for sure were really Pretty, but the manufacturing methods were not at the par with the extreme requirement of the cranks they make

Personally I'm a old Shimano XT/suntour XC-pro kind of person, i just never saw my cranks flexing, failing or breaking even when i was 240pound (race weight) and pedal hard as hell

·
Banned
751 Posts
gabe said:
What ever happened to Caramba cranks and does anybody have a pic of the
I heard they would be fine if you didn't over torque 20 FT/LBS. Just treat them nicely. I'll
see how mine hold up. If they break they're going back for a full refund! LOL!

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,921 Posts
Again its like I was saying in the Kooka thread, we're talking about stuff that was made using a LOT less aluminium than shimano would have used. There's a durability issue you just have to be willing to accept to use them. I and others are willing to accept it, and no amount of pessimistic complaining about how much crank A or B snaps will stop us from using them. I'm particularly amused by how many people complain about it being a problem for them and how many they've seen broken, yet they're the ones who horde them as well and bid the hell out of them on ebay.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
DeeEight said:
Again its like I was saying in the Kooka thread, we're talking about stuff that was made using a LOT less aluminium than shimano would have used. There's a durability issue you just have to be willing to accept to use them. I and others are willing to accept it, and no amount of pessimistic complaining about how much crank A or B snaps will stop us from using them. I'm particularly amused by how many people complain about it being a problem for them and how many they've seen broken, yet they're the ones who horde them as well and bid the hell out of them on ebay.
Some How after your comment the Pink Floyd Movie "The Wall" comes to my mind...

·
FreeRider 4 Real (not!)
363 Posts
Anyone have a collection of broken Grafton cranks to?

And why does some say "Carumba" instead of "Caramba"

1 - 14 of 14 Posts