Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Negative Rep Points!!!!
4,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Question for you Eye 9 Abusers...SS'ers specifically:

I recently slapped a pair of I9's on the ol' beach cruiser and I've gotten 3 rides in.

My last two rides, I've developed a rather annoying clunking sound, that each time I've traced back to play developing in the freehub.

I was amazed at how simple it was to totally disassmble this hub, trailside, for a looksee. Incredibly simple construction!

Both times, I cleaned and reseated everything, and then hand snugged the retaining collar as tight as I could with my fingers. There's no provision for putting any kind of tool or spanner on this so I can't imagine ever overtightening this setup. I've snugged that tiny 1mm hex screw and been on my way.

The pawl assembly and bearing surfaces all look bueno.

Once everything is buttoned back up..I can detect no side to side movement in the freehub shell.

My question is:

Have any of you experienced this? Do you grease the bearing where it sits in the hub shell or do you assemble it dry?

That's a very tiny set screw on there.... Do you ever put thread locker on that?

TIA!

Aqua

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
sounds like one of the pawls could be hanging up, and then engaging, and then you hear the clunk. You could try bending the little springs to increase preload beneath the pawls.

shrug,
Ninerfan

·
Registered
212 Posts
We had a customer bring in their I9s with the same clunky creak. I found the freehub to have the same problem. I talked to I9 and they said some(not a lot just some) of their hubs, older more than newer, had a problem with wallowing out a little bit. The change in tolerance is enough to cause some noise.

Call I9. While they are slow on the build they are fast on the repairs.

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
Aqua......

My hub made the same sound.... Pull it all apart. Clean it. Use "Red Devil" grease from Rock 'n' Roll and roll on. DON'T crank down that collar too tight - even by hand. Go just enough and then set the screw.

Voila'! :thumbsup:

·
Negative Rep Points!!!!
4,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replies!

It's hard to diagnose where inside the hub, that knocking sound was emanating from...But, I could grab the wheel in my hand, torque it laterally, and see/feel movement in the freehub.

After tightening the preload collar it was silent and tight for the remainder of the ride(s).

I had some waterproof grease that is fairly thick that I grabbed from the inside of my seatpost (I always store some there), and I laid a thin bead inside the bearing race seat.

Do you guys normally grease that area, or assemble it dry?

I've had to retention the spokes, I expected that. Do these I9's tend to need a few hub retensioning sessions as well. All of my CK hubs have needed a few retensions until bedding in.

BTW, The Stans Flow rims...real nice!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
You don't want to use anything super sticky/thick.....it'll cause a pawl to hang up and the noise will return likely.

My wheels only needed one retension on the spokes and the one breakdown to clean & re-grease with the R n' R stuff.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I use the RnR super slick black stuff on them. Keeps they working well. I think the I9's, like kings, do need a tightening every so often. If tightening only fixes it on the short term though give them a call.

The Flow rims do indeed rock. Wicked stiff and all that width...beautiful

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
Aqua, that Jones just makes me go weak at the knees and all gooey...............

The lines of the frame are the epitome of cool, classey and down right sexy!!!!

Guess it is similar to my thing with 911's, same overall lines for many many many moons..

Sorry to derail the thread guys, am all good, picked me tung up off the floor....

·
I don't huck.
2,543 Posts
Whafe said:
Aqua, that Jones just makes me go weak at the knees and all gooey...............

The lines of the frame are the epitome of cool, classey and down right sexy!!!!

Guess it is similar to my thing with 911's, same overall lines for many many many moons..

Sorry to derail the thread guys, am all good, picked me tung up off the floor....

yeah, that is not a bike...it is art.:thumbsup:

·
Negative Rep Points!!!!
4,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
richwolf said:
Running tubeless??
Nope, not yet, Rich. I'm a little paranoid of tubeless these days. I've had far too many catastrophic burps on my squish bike that have put me on the ground, hard and fast. At least with a tube I have a few seconds of warning when the tire is exhaling.

Although, I'm quite impressed at how tight my collection of tires fits on these Flow rims. I actually had to use a tire iron(for once), on these Flows, rather than just laying the tire on top of the rim. Tires fit so loosely on my other setup, that if the wind blew in the right direction...the tire slid off of the rim.

Hubert...that front QR is an 06 XTR.

Thanks, Whafer....but shouldn't you be off the internet and working on your apology to Dr. Phil?

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
Aquaholic said:
Thanks, Whafer....but shouldn't you be off the internet and working on your apology to Dr. Phil?
yep, am writing a thesis on all the in out, whoops, mean ins and outs of the big speech I need to give............;) :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,331 Posts
A note on diss/assembly. I've had a few customers bend the pawl spring tangs when they DIY the hubs. You definately want to pull them apart, and put them together SLOWLY. It's a tight system, and the suction is sufficient to cause tang bendage. Also, having dealt with a mess of these now, another lube for the pawls that has been working really well is DuMonde Tech Liquid grease, good stuff :thumbsup:

·
Negative Rep Points!!!!
4,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
uno-speedo said:
You ditched the Eriksen post?
Not really...it's getting some time on the Franken Cruiser......I'll explain later.

Anyway.....I pulled the hub back apart and went through it again. It was nice and tight...and silent. My obsessive compulsiveness just needed to double check everything on the bench.

I cleaned all of the factory grease off and inspected each spring washer and screw - All good.

I recoated everything with a slathering of CK ringdrive lube that I keep in my stash.

Here's that bearing surface that I put a thin coat of waterproof grease on.

Buttoned her all back up and gave it a few quick spins of the crank arms...

Nice and quiet with that ring drive lube....much less buzzy!

AHHHHHHHHHHH!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Whafe said:
yep, am writing a thesis on all the in out, whoops, mean ins and outs of the big speech I need to give............;) :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Hehahahaheheh! :p

1 - 20 of 41 Posts