Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Not yet. I have the older model, the MF-01 TT. They work well, but they use bushings, so they might develop play eventually. The XMF08TT is the new and improved model with cartridge bearings.

·
Registered
762 Posts
i have the exustar pm 28 ti pedals and love them. the only problem is the brass cleats suck, so i use the ti cleats and they should last forever

as for bearing vs. bushings, i have found the bearings used in pedals all suck anyway and just get rough and tight. the bushings in the exustars are designed similar to bearings and hold up just as long

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
My wife rides the Exustar Ti on her Flux and likes them just as much as her XTRs on her other bikes. They seem pretty solid and have been doing fine for a good year now. The XTRs are many years old and I expect them to last forever.

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
The Exustars need just some service (clean and re-grease) about once or twice a year to last very long.Not more though than any Eggbeater pedal as well. Most Exustars come with too little grease from the factory.Just lube them once more right away before you ride them.

Shimano lasts forever without beeing touched but those are all tanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
checky said:
Any experience with the XMF08TT ?
I've broken a couple of Ti spindles on them:eek: . I would certainly make sure you rotate them out every couple of years. I weigh 150 pounds but put a lot of miles on them, probably in the 4-5 thousand range. Keep them greased for sure though. I'm checking on new spindles for them since I have 4 pairs, hopefully the US dealer will be able to help me out. Use their cleats as well, the Shimano cleats will dig into the body pretty good.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Sean Allan said:
I've broken a couple of Ti spindles on them:eek: . I would certainly make sure you rotate them out every couple of years. I weigh 150 pounds but put a lot of miles on them, probably in the 4-5 thousand range. Keep them greased for sure though. I'm checking on new spindles for them since I have 4 pairs, hopefully the US dealer will be able to help me out. Use their cleats as well, the Shimano cleats will dig into the body pretty good.
Are you sure you're talking about the Xpedo XMF08TT pedals?

The XMF08TT are the new model and they were released only a few months ago. How did you manage to break 2 Ti spindles already?

Besides, their body is made from titanium. Shimano cleats don't do s... to it. I have the older model, the MF-01 TT, which I use with Shimano cleats, and the body is still in great condition after 8 months. I ride A LOT.

I think your talking about the Exustars with magnesium body.

·
Five is right out
3,176 Posts
Happy Trails said:
Taking a good look at these any one using them cant seem to find any reviews.
The pedals sounded intriguing, but if you Google them you get all sorts of horrendous user reports on 'em!

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
sfer1 said:
Are you sure you're talking about the Xpedo XMF08TT pedals?

The XMF08TT are the new model and they were released only a few months ago. How did you manage to break 2 Ti spindles already?

Besides, their body is made from titanium. Shimano cleats don't do s... to it. I have the older model, the MF-01 TT, which I use with Shimano cleats, and the body is still in great condition after 8 months. I ride A LOT.

I think your talking about the Exustars with magnesium body.
They are the same spindles, so the same reasoning applies. I have both the new ones and the old magnesium ones, both bodies are showing wear, the Ti bodies especially since they are only a few months old. Pics are of the Mags after less than a years use. The Ti's look as though they are going down the same road. Ti isn't the end all answer for wear resistance.

I don't have any Exustars, mag or ti so I can't comment on those.

I'm not complaining, I got my monies worth out of them believe me, hence the "rotate them out every couple of years" comment.

Use whatever cleat you want to, I'm telling you that the larger platform on the supplied cleat works better. Everyone's idea of "a lot of riding" is different.

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What is the difference on these

Exustar PM 25 Ti

Exustar E-PM 28 TI

Whats the difference beside a lot of $$$$$$

My main concern is ease of entry and release, I hated Eggs took them right off, Right now I'm using the old Girvin Ti Mags bought every pair i could find, I think Wellgo made the for Girvin ?. At long last I'm ready to make a switch. Any and all feed back would be great, Nino are you using these. hey Nino Stewert looked at the first Super Cross

Steve / Florida

·
Registered
762 Posts
Happy Trails said:
Exustar PM 25 Ti

Exustar E-PM 28 TI

Whats the difference beside a lot of $$$$$$

My main concern is ease of entry and release, I hated Eggs took them right off, Right now I'm using the old Girvin Ti Mags bought every pair i could find, I think Wellgo made the for Girvin ?. At long last I'm ready to make a switch. Any and all feed back would be great, Nino are you using these. hey Nino Stewert looked at the first Super Cross

Steve / Florida
hey, i can answer your questions - nino runs egg beater 4 ti.
i didn't like them either, felt like i was riding on casters, they had way too much float - that is when they were actually on the bike and not in for warranty service.

now i have the pm28ti - the difference between the 28 and 25 is the 25 have chrome molly bindings, whereas the 28 have ti bindings. the 25 is 24 grams heavier. both have the magnesium bodies and ti spindles. i have found that the brass cleats do wear out prematurely and am waiting on a set of ti cleats, which, in theory, should last indefinitely. the spring tension has a very wide range of adjustment and the entry/release is very positive. the cleats have a 4 degree float angle, just as shimano.

hope that helps

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.