Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My very expensive 28ti pedals are now scrap after about 10 rides. Unfortunately I have had them on and off my race bike for a while now so I doubt very much Ill have any come back.

The problem is the magnesium body. It is simply too sof and the platform has worn away will not let the cleat release if there is any weight on the pedal. The first set of brass cleats wore down within a week of riding in the Pyrenee's, then the pedals stopped releasing. Now they are just dangerous.

Has anyone else had this problem?

·
Registered
762 Posts
hmmmm, not good
i have a set of these and they are pretty new
i felt some wear in the cleats and fortunately the usa distributor is taking care of me. they are sending me cleats and will send new pedals if that doesn't work

but, i really want to like these pedals, because after a 1 1/2 years on crank brothers 4ti, those were really bad with wearing out. they spent as much time back at c.b. as they did on the bike

·
sometimes cheeky
128 Posts
MMh when your 4Ti are worn out fast, I guess you step with the Exustar into the wrong direction. All of these pedals has only poor sealed friction type bearings, direct on the axle. Its light, but not durable.

Next is the Magnesium. From my point of view is this material not strong enough to survive the hard conditions an MTB pedal typically has to overcome.

I went back to XTR, updated with Ti axles. 290g but durable and 100% function for many years.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Been there too...

Was using the exustar pm-25ti. Nice, but the mag body was really a mess. After a while an attach point (where the spring olds) broke (my bad though, smashed it into a rock).

Then I moved into EB 4Ti. Nice! Light, smooth... A few hundreds of km's later, back to CB to repair the massive wing play.

About a year later they were all the same. Almost impossible to ride without uncliping, really scary. Almost 400€ of pedals each 1-2 years? No thanks!

Since I had the Ti spindles from the pm25-ti, just got the normal exustar pm25 and changed the spindles. 222g. Lets see how it holds up now...

Did you guys check the latest sub 200g xpedo pedal that uses 3 bearings?

Although I do not believe in ultralight durable pedals...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Exustar

Right, after having a closer look today it seems that the cause isnt what I thought it was. The body is slightly worn but this doesnt seem to be a problem as the grips on the shoes hold the cleat off the body just tiny bit under normal riding.

The problem seems to be the front of the cleat slipping under the mechanism whilst twisting to release. Instead of staying put and the back twisting out, the front is twisting inwards towards the crank and then the shoe is stuck in the pedal and I'm on my arse. The cleats have very little wear and the pedals are virtually new, although I have had them a good while, they have not had much use.

I will contact the UK supplier in the new year and hopefully get it sorted. I desparately wanted these to be good pedals, but it would seem super light pedals just dont work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.