Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Albany West Oz
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help! It's complicated, I think.

I have been using an Extrawheel trailer on my regular MTB and really like it so I bought a wide fastening fork for the Fatback so I could use the trailer with that.

The fork attaches the trailer to the rear QR, It is sold as suitable for a Pugsley and I didn't consider the offset issue when I bought it so with fear and trepidation I fit it to the Fat back and sure it lines up okay, no offset, but it is too short, it rubs on the tire, a Larry.

Okay, happen to have a Pug in the shed too so I put it on that, now it gets really ugly. Not only is it too short and rubs on the tire, Large Marge and Endo, pretty standard methinks, but it rubs on the left of the tire as it is not offset.

So what the hell is this thing meant to fit??

I have emailed the seller, the very nice people at the biketrailershop but I was wordering if anyone here has used one on their fatbike and can tell me what I could possibly be doing wrong.

Below: Fatback on left, Pug on right.

Attachments

·
Fat!Drunk!Slow!
1,453 Posts
I'd say the part is bad, it says "pugs style" online, but it looks like its symmetric so it wont fit the offset pugs.

·
Dr Gadget is IN
2,374 Posts
Well. I've lusted after an Extrawheel since I saw the one used on a Pugsley on the Cannery Stock Route.

And now they are available! Except they don't work!

Please post your problem resolution.

Also - the frame is still for a 100mm axle and "normal" width tire?

·
Albany West Oz
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Trailer is for standard wheel but I will be making/modifying it.

As for the fork, i'll let you know. Response from shop is that I don't have the QR centered, which is not the case.

I did find this though. http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=156158 Kiwibiker had to make a spacer for the left to move the whole thing over and shave down the QR nut on the right, PITA.

Attachments

·
Albany West Oz
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got this back from the manufacturer
Solution I see is to insert a few flat washers (or one bigger) on one
side only, between the frame and the quick reease lock - so that the
fork and wheel might lay both symmetrically on the same surface.
:

Which takes me back to the question, what bike did they make this for?

·
Dr Gadget is IN
2,374 Posts
So you got a bogus answer on the offset - no expectation of better for tire clearance.

Sigh.........

On another note, BOB now have a 160mm OLD fork and hitch skewer available - anyone try this on a 170mm hub?

·
Albany West Oz
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Final word on this from me, Received this reply to my issue from Radosław Rakoczy from Extrawheel in Poland.

On the issue of it not fitting the Pug without modification.

"need more spaces and insert a wide sleeve"

On not being long enough to clear the larger Larry tire:

"if we will resume the production then we will design a little longer of arms of fork for Larry tire"

So, in a nutshell, it will only fit a symmetrical rear fatbike like the Fatback as long as you use the Endomorph.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts