Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to bite the bullet and shell out for and ETSX-30 which I really loved when test riding it. However, I wanted to know from other owners whether there are any additional items I should buy at the same time. My LBS will have to order the bike for me since they don't have the color I want and I wondered if I should get them to order some spares at the same time; in particular an extra derailer hanger or two, or even spare pivots?
I also forgot to ask if I need a special pump for the fork and rear shock - should I be getting that for free with the bike? Any other special tools I'll need to service the bike?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Philip

·
LBS Manager
1,918 Posts
If you plan on doing all your own sevicing you will need a lot of tools. You shouldn't need any new pivots or hardwear unless you ham fist the originals. I would get a spare hanger as with any bike and I can't remeber if the bike comes with a pump or not . If not you will need one.

·
Registered
524 Posts
The ETSX requires the same tools to fix that any other bike would. I wouldn't worry about ordering any spare parts along with the bike just yet. Myself, and all of the guys that work for my LBS, as well as a few friends all ride ETSX's and they don't require all that much maintenance, aside from tune-ups and the usual stuff. A spare hanger would probably be a good item to keep around though. I haven't replaced mine yet, but I'm sure I'll have to at some point. You will also need to buy a pump for the rear shock as well. Fox makes a nice one that runs for about 30 bucks. One reccomendation though, would be to get the 50 model at least if you can afford it. When I bought my ETSX the 50 model only ran like 200 more I think. This year the 50 model is way upgraded over the 30 model too. With the 50 you will get the carbon rear, which I have seen in person and it's awesome. The other nice upgrade is the formula brakes, which is an extremely nice set of hydro brakes. The shock on the higher ones gets better too. In the end though, whichever you choose will bring you much pleasure, trust me. You'll be hooked on this bike the first time you start rippin it up on it. Good luck man and keep us posted on your purchase.

·
Registered
47 Posts
On my ETSX-70, I replaced the Kenda tires with Panaracer Fireracerxc's, becuase the OE tires "understeered" abd I was not comfortable with that. For some reason RM cheaped out on the tires.

I bought a pair of derailleur hengers for my bike, and replaced one in my first year, as it was my fault that I fell and bent the original. I think I went to deraileurhanger.com or something like that for mine

All else is fine, when I get ghost shifting I usually have to clean and lube the rear cable, and have stx cables ready for the next adjustment.

Fun bike, enjoy

·
old enough to know better
300 Posts
Stan's if you want

I've used Stan's No Tubes on two ETSXx with great success. Tubes are okay too, but I had three years with only *one*, count 'em - one, flat.

If you use Stan's, a compressor is very handy...

·
LBS Manager
1,918 Posts
Stans

Tubes are about as usefull as hardtails to me. Worth keeping around but not worth riding. I have used stans for 3 years no problems. There is much to be gained by running a nice light wieght tire with no tubes.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys for the responses. I'd love to be able to afford a ETSX-50, but that might happen in my next life. I'm streching for the 30 as it is. I'll make sure I get the shock pump and at least one spare hanger. I've been riding for years now and have accumulated probably all the tools I'll need for regular servicing, so I should be alright regarding that.
As to the tires, I'll look into that. The stans things look interesting, but messy! Is it really that much better than going for tube-less rims?
Anyway, here's to returning to full suspension after a 5 year hiatus! Things have definitely progress beyond my old Proflex 855 and its elastomer shocks :thumbsup:
Unfortunately I am going abroad for a 2.5 week vacation now and won't be able to pick up the bike as soon as it arrives. It's not often that I don't want to be on vacation.:rolleyes:

Thanks again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.