Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Perhaps some of you have tried all three. If so, which lever has the best feel? I`m in the market for replacement levers and I`d like one of the above, but I don`t want a mushy or vague feeling brake lever.

As a comparison, I have used XT, XTR and Sram composite. XTR gets my vote but I`d like something lighter.

Any opinions??

·
Just passing through....
1,331 Posts
top_ring said:
Perhaps some of you have tried all three. If so, which lever has the best feel? I`m in the market for replacement levers and I`d like one of the above, but I don`t want a mushy or vague feeling brake lever.

As a comparision, I have used XT, XTR and Sram composite. XTR gets my vote but I`d like something lighter.

Any opinions??
I've logged significant time with both the Kooka's and the Paul's Compact Love levers with the same brakes. The Kookas were flexy, no doubt. They were tolerable, but you won't like them if mushy or vague bothers you. The Paul's inspire much more confidence. They are a little heavier but rock solid and feel great. Can't comment on the Extralites, but I do know that they are expensive.

·
Registered
343 Posts
^+1
If you want them stiff and light, the Extralites are the way to go.
I myself have the Kookas, but simply because I didn't have the money for the levers at that time and the Kookas cost me half as what the Extralites are and I have them down to 68g. Extralites are 64g.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I have no experience with the three mentioned but many people say the Kooka are annoyingly flexy. I've heard good things about Paul. Extralite are just overpriced.

What about Precision Billet Proshift levers? 120 g with steel bolts and they have a very solid feel.

·
Just passing through....
1,331 Posts
eurorider said:
I have no experience with the three mentioned but many people say the Kooka are annoyingly flexy. I've heard good things about Paul. Extralite are just overpriced.

What about Precision Billet Proshift levers? 120 g with steel bolts and they have a very solid feel.
I've heard good things about these also. The problem is that they don't make them anymore and you can't find them anywhere. I've seen one set on ebay in the last couple of years (not that I look all the time). I got outbid on the ones that I saw.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
eurorider said:

I would have mentioned the Precision levers but as FireMedic says, they are pretty much unattainable. They would be nicely paired with the Proshift Vee`s that I already own. You`ve got to be seriously lucky to find a pair... although I see you`ve managed to grab some.

·
6x7=Dont Panic!
2,014 Posts
If money is no problem, get the Extralites. I have paul's compact love levers and they are awesome. Only thing wrong with the pauls is that they dont come in purple any more.

·
Velodramatic
533 Posts
get the extralites - if you CAN get them. weigh the least, feel the best, look the best. period.

·
Weight Weenie Shop Owner
2,006 Posts
My opinon after using several metioned brake levers...

and another option not mentioned.
I have used the following of the lighter options:

Extralite UltraLevers - 64g
Paul Duce and half - 126g
FRM DP3 - 114g
(Now DP4 - 116g)
Kooka

1. Extralite UltraLevers- If money is not option and you want the lightest, best feeling, best looking and power from your brakes, then go with the Extralite Ultralevers. They are not cheap but at the top of the food chain wen it comes to v-brake levers for ww. Check Ebay every so often, as I sell some on thier below retail every few months. Also Ebay.de fro deals.
  2. FRM DP3 - These are some really nice levers and come in at a really nice weight. fell is ver close to the Extralite's but not quite there. Tey feel and workmaship on these are very ggod. Until the Extralite's came around, these were it. it should have bought more of these befroe the West Coast Distributor closed. Now availabe through Stan @ notubes.com
  3. Paul Love Levers - these have the looks and feel, but they are not the lightest. only thing besdies weight that was disapointing was ther is no return spring. otherwise these brakes have good power and very nice CNC work.
I wont even list the Kookas as IMO, they just suck! Flexy as heel and have no power. There as also some Steinbach(?) v-brake levers ut there which are light, but not ver stiff from what I hear.

So if you wnat Bling and have the $$, then Extralite. if you want Euro branded brakes then go with the FRM. If weight is not the biggest concern and want a beautiful CNC lever then go with the Paul.
All the ones I listed are very good brake, have same or better performacne than XTR and are lighter. Avid Speed Dial SL @ 148g are not too bad if you wnat to play it safe and save just a few grams.

Here are the FRM DP4:

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
If the Extralites are so special and light, why can't someone make a similar but simpler lever that is 90g and just as stiff, at a fraction fo the cost? Example, Dura-Ace derailers are nice and light, 182g or so, but a 22xg 105 works almost as well at a fraction of the cost.

I now have XT's with alu bolts and removed reach adjusters, 157g. Hard to find an upgrade with a good gramprice, it seems?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts