Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
934 Posts
So far so good. I probably haven't put the number of miles on them like a roadie would but they seem to be strong enough for my 90kilos. They may have switched from a metal spring under the pawls to an elastomer. I had a seal break but finding another at a hardware store was easy. I'm not sure if I like how the freewheel body attaches to the hub - it seems to create a little drag when coasting. If you turn the cranks backwards the wheel actually begins to turn backwards too a little.

So mine seem strong enough but dunno about long term durability - so far so good. Quality of construction is excellent and they seem pretty stiff to me.

It's an extreme light weight product so I use it believing there is a greater degree of failure risk so with that in light I'm very happy.

· Registered
15 Posts
be careful!!!!

I found the front hubs to be fine.

As for the rear.
1. very lightweight.
2. difficult to lace with DT spokes, spoke heads did not fit in flange easily.
3. sealing not good in muddy conditions.
4 easy to strip & clean, however this voids warranty, Extralite told me that the rear freewheel tolerances are critical and need to be set at the factory. Hardly practical.
5 freewheel jammed on my hub in a race after a spring pawl in the rear hub broke.

I am not heavy on equipment, this is the first hub I have ever broken, for example I have raced on AC hubs for several seasons without problems, and these are considered fragile by many.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.