Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Weight Weenie Shop Owner
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

3D CNC integrated cranks, Hyper accurate dimensioning, SSP design (pat. Pending), oversized axle and bearings, 104mm BTC, black anod. Laser graphics, 172.5-175mm, BSA68mm or BSA68-73mm, 498gr. (complete set: cranks-axle, cups, berarings )

Pro-climbing & Hi-sprinting, 24mm semi-areo rims laced to UltraHubs, 24+28 black bladed spokes, black Ergal nipples, 1180gr. (pair)

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
beware...

DIRT BOY said:

3D CNC integrated cranks, Hyper accurate dimensioning, SSP design (pat. Pending), oversized axle and bearings, 104mm BTC, black anod. Laser graphics, 172.5-175mm, BSA68mm or BSA68-73mm, 498gr. (complete set: cranks-axle, cups, berarings )

Pro-climbing & Hi-sprinting, 24mm semi-areo rims laced to UltraHubs, 24+28 black bladed spokes, black Ergal nipples, 1180gr. (pair)
i have seen a set of those cranks after just 1(!) muddy 1 hour ride...didn't look that good anymore.water and dirt has passed the seals and entered the bearings, no good quality. bearings are already running rough, plenty of water eneterd the system. he is already looking for good quality replacement bearings...on top of that he had problems with chainsuck on the granny ring.

pictures and thread can be found here:
https://www.mtb-news.de/forum/showthread.php?t=160884&highlight=wbones
pics:
https://www.tatendrang.ch/Bike/ebones-w_crank/index.html

weight is ok, but there is lighter with Storck powerarms and a Ti BB...

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Don't beware!

nino said:
i have seen a set of those cranks after just 1(!) muddy 1 hour ride...didn't look that good anymore.water and dirt has passed the seals and entered the bearings, no good quality. bearings are already running rough, plenty of water eneterd the system. he is already looking for good quality replacement bearings...on top of that he had problems with chainsuck on the granny ring.

pictures and thread can be found here:
http://www.mtb-news.de/forum/showthread.php?t=160884&highlight=wbones
pics:
http://www.tatendrang.ch/Bike/ebones-w_crank/index.html

weight is ok, but there is lighter with Storck powerarms and a Ti BB...
The guy hadn't sealed the seatclamp on his Extralite seatpost, and lots of water flowed right into his BB. Don't blame the crank when it's the user's fault. The entire thread is here

Ole.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Ole said:
The guy hadn't sealed the seatclamp on his Extralite seatpost, and lots of water flowed right into his BB. Don't blame the crank when it's the user's fault. The entire thread is here

Ole.
wherever the water cam from - the bb isn't sealed at all and therefor the bearings are likely to be toast quickly... not mentioning the weak anodization finish

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
sorry?

Ole said:

Ole.
i never "sealed" my seatclamp in 15 years of biking. i never experienced a watered BB the way he did with his ultra-high-priced-cnc'd-whatevercrankdesign....that water entered the bearings which shows they aren't sealed-end of the story. not to speak of the surface finish.

and don't tell me you don't have a tiny hole in your BB shell to let any eventual water out! that's a place soome water also enters when going through deep water but ANY BB should survive a bit of water...at least more than just 1 ride.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
nino said:
i never "sealed" my seatclamp in 15 years of biking. i never experienced a watered BB the way he did with his ultra-high-priced-cnc'd-whatevercrankdesign....that water entered the bearings which shows they aren't sealed-end of the story. not to speak of the surface finish.

and don't tell me you don't have a tiny hole in your BB shell to let any eventual water out! that's a place soome water also enters when going through deep water but ANY BB should survive a bit of water...at least more than just 1 ride.
I'm talking about the top of the seatpost, not the seatpost clamp on the frame. The Extralite post has a huge hole in the "cradle" that the seat lies on. Lots of water entered his frame through this hole, and he did an entire race with the BB full of water. Other seatposts have a hole on top as well, the original Easton carbon is one that comes to mind. They all need to be sealed with some tape.

Some BBs are sealed on the inside, like older Shimano cartridge BBs. Many don't. If you have a hole in the BB shell, there's never going to be any water sitting there, it will drain out quikly. Even if you are dumb enough to ride i through water deep enough to submerge it. No bicycle bearing seals are designed to run submerged even for a second. Sure, you can submerge it as long as nothing is rotating, but as soon as you spin the cranks, rotate the wheels etc, water will push past the seals.

Ole.

·
Velodramatic
533 Posts
true, i also placed a sticker between the cradle and the top of my tune seatpost. otherwise water and dirt would enter the frame and eventually destroy my BB

·
Registered
64 Posts
huge hole?

I have 4 tiny holes (4mm?) in the "cradle of my extralite post but I don't think
much water could get in there. It would have to drip off the bottom of my saddle.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Try to ride your bike for an hour in heavy rain without a rear fender. Then I think pretty much water will drip from the bottom of your saddle and in your seatpost.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Roger G said:
I have 4 tiny holes (4mm?) in the "cradle of my extralite post but I don't think
much water could get in there. It would have to drip off the bottom of my saddle.
The 30.9mm and 31.6mm have a wider cradle with a large hole in the middle.

Think about where water from the rear wheel is sprayed when you ride in wet conditions. Right up under your seat. And with a u-shaped cradle to catch it all, a lot of that water will end up into the frame.

Even if you don't have a hole in your seatpost, water will find its way into the frame. When you take the bike outside in colder air, the air in the frame will shrink, and draw moist air in past the water bottle bolts, headset, seat post and even bottom bracket seals. Over time, you get enough to pool around the BB. Some frames have BB shells that are sealed off from the rest of the frame, and then you don't get water in the BB. But it ends up sloshing around inside the frame nonetheless. I rode my Spider in the rain a lot last year, and I suddenly heard some weird sloshing sound when I lifted the bike down from the wall. At first I thought it was the Stan's sealant in the tires, but it soon became clear that it was in my downtube. Took the fork out and lifted the rear end of the bike straight up. At least half a decilitre came out! Hooray, 50g saved! :)

Water water everywhere, and not a drop to drink...

Ole.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.