Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have any luck using left-hand drill bits to extract a stripped or broken bolt?

Would it be possible to do this with a bolt as small as a derailleur limit screw (M3, I think)?

·
HammerHead
290 Posts
bolt extractor

You can use bolt exractors (Sears or OSH). You drill a small diameter hole in broken bolt and then use extractor. However I am not sure for that small bolt they have the extractor. You can also drill it out and use helicoil to repair it

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,776 Posts
Or, you can tack-weld an extension bolt head to the busted piece. Just make sure a decent sized washer separates(to prevent welding the new bolt to the boss) the old and the new bolt pieces. That's an old automotive trick.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Easy to screw up and sooo cheap to have a machine shop do it. Last time I had the problem, a small bolt broken off in the alloy body of a nailgun, the machine shop charged me for 2 minutes of time at $60 per hour for a total cost of $2, rounded up to their minimum charge of $5. $5 wouldn't even buy you a single left hand twist bit, much less make up for the time and frustration and the misery of screwing it up....

Take it to a machine shop.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
IRONMAN1518 said:
Please send a pic of the broken part.

Considering how small the screws are, there isn't much margin for error so I'll probably take mpahl's advice and try a local machine shop.

·
Registered
736 Posts
What is the part? I can't recognize it, sorry, these bad eyes. it looked like a stem at first, and then......I dunno what it is. Looks like you could brag the right one with some pliers but not sure.
Good luck with that and let us know how you got it fixed.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I thought it was a crank arm!!! The bolt hole on the arm threw me!1 Yep, I'd suggest a machineshop. Good luck.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
update

mpahl said:
Easy to screw up and sooo cheap to have a machine shop do it. Last time I had the problem, a small bolt broken off in the alloy body of a nailgun, the machine shop charged me for 2 minutes of time at $60 per hour for a total cost of $2, rounded up to their minimum charge of $5. $5 wouldn't even buy you a single left hand twist bit, much less make up for the time and frustration and the misery of screwing it up....

Take it to a machine shop.
I took the crank arm to a machine shop and they removed all three screws for $8 (and did not damage the threads, thankfully).

Thanks for the advice!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts