Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why is it that bike manufacturers no longer put Linear brakes on any of their products??? Even most Wallybikes now come w/ disc brakes.
I remember a few years ago, if you had disc brakes you had something special. And that was usually just disc on the front.
Is there that much of a mechanical advantage to disc brakes??? Even for the cheap ones on a Wallybike???? I would like to see an engineer do Side-by-Side Double Blind evaluation of a pair of generic disc to a set of name brand disc brakes. Yeah, I know most of you GearHeads out there will automatically side w/ the name brand. But wouldn't you be curious to see the data from such an experiment???
And now Hydros are on the verge of becoming the norm. Pretty soon brake cables are going to be a special order item. Not everyone on two wheels can afford to upgrade everytime something new comes down the pike. What happened to keeping it simple??

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I could just Fred Flinstone it down the Mtn.
Brilliant! And it saves on weight. Someone go alert the Weight Weenies NOW!!

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
disk brakes are a marketing buzz word for those wallybikes now..........

And truing the rim isnt needed at much.

·
On wuss patrol
5,159 Posts
Drakken_11 said:
Why is it that bike manufacturers no longer put Linear brakes on any of their products??? What happened to keeping it simple??
I think linear rim brakes/v-brakes will be around for a long time, years, and the replacement parts for many years beyond that. Entry level models from major manufacturers still have them as OEM. Road and cross bikes are equipped with them and not discs.

I think of it as when car manufactures went from front drum brakes to discs for stopping distance and fade resistant safety. While discs are a better stopping devices, parts are still available for the older drum brake cars.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the truth is in the pudding

Oh, believe me. I know that. I was a business major in college.
But wouldn't it be interesting to see how much is hype and how much is technical advantage??

·
Registered
210 Posts
Road bikes still use them allot cause its easier to tuck them into the fork and make aerodynamic than disc plus they are lighter. In the mountain bike scene they are pretty well dead but stopping power and weight are not as much of a concern to MTB or at least to me its not. Then again I still have an old hard tail I ride from time to time with v brakes.

·
Registered
7,834 Posts
Drakken_11 said:
Oh, believe me. I know that. I was a business major in college.
But wouldn't it be interesting to see how much is hype and how much is technical advantage??
You don't need to run an experiment to see the advantage of disc brakes. Once you either go beyond XC or start riding in the wet, disc brakes will give you more brake power with better modulation. Simply using them make the advantages clear.

·
Registered
7,834 Posts
Drakken_11 said:
Oh, no. Not between Disc and Linear. Between Generic Disc and Name Brand Disc.
There's still no need for an experiment, all you need to do is try them. The only cable actuated disc brake even worth talking about in the same sentence as hydraulics are Avids.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Wally MTBs have stickers "not for off roading." Meaningless comparison. Budget disks work better than high end rim brake plus expensive ceramic rims in dirt. It's pretty obvious.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Again, I want to see a comparison between Generic VS Name Brand in the Disc braked arena.
I know that Disc brakes have an advantage over rim brakes of any design. I have Disc on the front and V-Brakes on the rear. I know the difference.
What I am talking about is how people talkd smack about Generic parts. But think about it. The physics are basically the same. How much better could a set of cable pull Shimano disc brakes be VS a set of disc brakes off a Wally bike???

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Malibu412 said:
I think linear rim brakes/v-brakes will be around for a long time, years, and the replacement parts for many years beyond that. Entry level models from major manufacturers still have them as OEM. Road and cross bikes are equipped with them and not discs.

I think of it as when car manufactures went from front drum brakes to discs for stopping distance and fade resistant safety. While discs are a better stopping devices, parts are still available for the older drum brake cars.
Oh really. Than why is it whenever I open up an issue of Mtn Bike or MtnBike Action, all the bikes they review have disc brakes??? It just feels that they are being pushed aside. Does anyone remember VCR VS. BETA??? or for the younger crowd HD-DVD VS. BLUERAY??? Huh!
:nono: And as a matter of fact, I have a CANNONDALE 2009 Cataloug in front of me now. The only bikes w/ Linear brakes are either Recreational, Beach Cruiser, or the Cyclocross bikes. There is not a Mtn bike in the whole book that has Linear brakes. Not even the "Entry level" bikes.

·
On wuss patrol
5,159 Posts
Cannondale is only one brand. I give you:

2010 Specialized Rock Hopper

2010 Gary Fisher Mako

2010 Trek 820

Just to name a few.

Obviously, the middle to higher end bikes are what most of the magazines test and review as that is what most readers want with an occasional budget bike test thrown in.

·
Registered
7,834 Posts
Drakken_11 said:
Again, I want to see a comparison between Generic VS Name Brand in the Disc braked arena.
Again, there is no need. Everything you need to know is obvious once you try them yourself. This is like saying "I want to see a test between a Yugo and a Porsche to see which one is really better". There is no need for it since a test drive makes everything obvious, so why would anyone waste their time?

·
Live 2 Ride
6,128 Posts
Last time I checked didn't the Walmart bikes have Tektro IO disk brakes?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Well I have tested out low end tektro, Promax, and Hayes cable brakes and the best out of those are the Hayes. They were all compared to BB7's and Juicy 3's. The cable brakes were used on cheap tektro levers and shimano integrated shift and brake levers. Amazingly enough I think the tektros came in last for feel.

The MX4 seemed good on stopping power and fading as the rest seemed about the same. They all faded about the same and did not hold up to the BB7's as they all have smaller pads than the BB7's. They all only have one pad that moves with the lever pull. The pistons or whatever you call it on the Promax and MX4 were more smooth and little to no slop. The Tektro had a big amount of slop in the piston and the actuation lever that the cable is attached to. Tektro levers are trash and in combo with their calipers you could not adjust them to a good amount at all. The levers were always all the way down to the handle bars to stop quickly. It improved slightly with the use of shimano levers. Rotors on the promax and tekto look the same and are thick heavy ones. The ones on the MX4 look to be Avid G2 Clean sweep or at least look the same and are the same thickness as my G2's on my Juicy's.

So the winner in my opinion is the MX4 and the Promax after that. I would pay money for someone to take the tektro's. They are just nasty, it could this set was just a fluke and they do make good brakes but these are not so good. If you had MX4 or Promax brakes they would be better than rim brakes but only in a couple areas.

To me though and my tests. I would rather have a set of promax or MX4 cheapo brakes than rim brakes. If they are tektro well then give me rim brakes.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts