Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
"That's what." -She
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ah yes, the seemingly never answered question, can I use an internally routed dropper post on an externally routed frame.

I have a 2011 stumpy, and I have the original dropper post on there still, and it's days are quickly coming to an end. And with the snow finally melted off of the trails, I wanna ride.

With new technology, internally routed droppers look nicer, and often times work much better than old, external ones. So, how can I put an internally routed dropper on my bike?

Thanks!

·
Big Mac
4,989 Posts
Ah yes, the seemingly never answered question, can I use an internally routed dropper post on an externally routed frame.

I have a 2011 stumpy, and I have the original dropper post on there still, and it's days are quickly coming to an end. And with the snow finally melted off of the trails, I wanna ride.

With new technology, internally routed droppers look nicer, and often times work much better than old, external ones. So, how can I put an internally routed dropper on my bike?

Thanks!
Really? Has this question been asked before, like many times, and never answered? How would you imagine this working?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts
There are really good options for externally routed posts now. Check out the PNW components Cascade post or the Brand X Ascend II post. The cable actuates at the seal head, not the seat clamp, so the cable does't travel up and down with seat, and won't be a hazard to getting caught in your wheel.

If you want internally routed, you'll need to drill a hole in your frame.

...don't do that.

·
"That's what." -She
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
That's my big problem is the mounting mechanism at the seat head. I will definitely take a look at those. Thanks a bunch!

And I won't drill a hole in my frame. Cuz you guys did make it pretty clear...

...don't do that

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
45,137 Posts
I’m kinda in the same boat. Actually I’m just going to rebuild my old externally routed dropper.

I was going to get a newer internally routed dropper and drill a hole in my frame for it.

Nah, I won’t do that.

·
damned rocks...
2,640 Posts
My old frame had external route for the seatpost, but I wanted an internal routed dropper... no, I didn't drilled my frame, I just routed the cable thru the BB.
If you are using 1x and your frame used to be 3x with internal routing, check if you call route the dropper cable thru the BB.

·
Registered
493 Posts

Thanks!
Why not wireless? My Magura Vyron works flawlessly.

·
Registered
4,584 Posts
Gravity Dropper has made external routed for a long time. It is the most reliable dropper out there and easy to maintain yourself. If budget is an issue, check Pink bike for a used GD.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.