Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Im looking at swapping out a tapered fork with a straight 1 1/8" fork in a 44mm id headtube. Its an FSA headset with an internal upper and external lower. I know i can buy a full zero stack internal headset for 1 1/8" in 44mm but does anyone know of options to buy an external lower only for a 1 1/8" in a 44mm? I would prefer to keep an external lower to keep the geometry the same.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
FSA used to make a crown race that could be used on a 1 1/8 fork to fit a 1 1/2 headset. Niner included one with my WFO frame that I bought a few years ago. The only problem is that it might be a discontinued item. That's your best bet and the great thing about it is that it allows you to use a tapered fork in the future if you want to.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
FSA used to make a crown race that could be used on a 1 1/8 fork to fit a 1 1/2 headset. Niner included one with my WFO frame that I bought a few years ago. The only problem is that it might be a discontinued item. That's your best bet and the great thing about it is that it allows you to use a tapered fork in the future if you want to.
hey thanks for the lead! the only issue is that the fsa webstore mentions its compatible with x,y,z integrated headsets but nothing of compatibility with external type lowers. like this: fsa-orbit-ita-internal-external-tapered-headset.jpg

in theory external, internal, and integrated should all have the same bearing-race interface??? maybe i'll contact fsa and hope to hear back before the snow hits again.

·
I ride a Swarf
1,314 Posts
Hope make an adapter to make a 1 1/8 fork work on a 44mm lower head set race. Effectively making the fork tapered as far as headset goes

1 - 6 of 6 Posts