Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My V-Drive Extremes are having some issues with the pedal threads due to constant switching, clipless/flats. I've been very happy with this set of cranks, the strength to weight ratio has suited me well on my RFX.

What are some options? I hear RaceFace X-types are having reliability issues. I'm not crazy about using Shimano, but the Saint looks to be a nice package.

It seems FSA only offers XC cranksets with external bearings, for now anyhow.

I want something a bit stronger than what's known as "all-mountain" but not insanely heavy either.

I need a 4-bolt, compatible with my Evil DRS.

Anything else out there or on the horizon? No big hurry, I can probably get by with these, at least till Summer.

·
Not just famous; infamous
1,069 Posts
tscheezy said:
Find something with steel pedal thread inserts. Maybe start a drivetrain thread asking for cranks with steel inserts?
Saint and Diabolus have the inserts as do some of the FSA cranks, don't know about Truvativ's stuff, but they may be more weight than he's looking for.

I've had zero problems with my Deus cranks. I think the problems with RF happened in the early versions. Check out the Atlas or XT/Hone cranks.

·
Banned
11,257 Posts
RF Evolve DH has steel inserts.

I had FSA V-Drive Extreme on 2 bikes, and had the same problems with the pedal threads being soft and getting easily mashed and deformed by steel pedal spindles, both cross-thread deformation and stripping from the force of landing drops.

I just installed a Diabolus bb/crank on one bike and and Atlas bb/crank on the other. The installation is a bit more tedious probably for the main reason that it's a different gig from just slapping in the ISIS cartridge BB and bolting on the arms. you have to adjust chainline somewhat with small spacers. but there's only one crank bolt, on the drive side.

also, you need a special tool to install the Shimano / RF external bearings.

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
jncarpenter said:
...I thought the splines looked different on the RF BB cups???? Is it the same tool for both RF & Shimano?
All RF and LX, Hone, XT, XTR have 16 slots for the tool. You can use the Park or Shimano tool.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.