Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am running a set of TruVativ singlespeed cranks w/ the external Giga X Pipe BB. The BB went kaput and needed to be replaced. I wanted another TruVative BB, but the only brand any LBS had was a Shimano.

Had it installed by the LBS and got it home only to notice side-to-side play in the cranks. I tried to tighten the crank bolt, but it seems there is no more adjustment left. :(

Anyone know or heard if with the external BB type cranks, other manufacturers external BB's are NOT compatible across brands? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
fore said:
shimano and race face external bottom brackets are not compatible with truvativ cranks, and vice versa.
Correct: Shimano cranks use a bearing system where both bearings are the same internal diameter. Truvativ cranks use a system where the drive side is larger internally than the non drive side.

FWIW, I think you might be able to use a Shimano driveside cup. But not a non drive side one.

·
Now Uploading
1,110 Posts
Correct: Shimano cranks use a bearing system where both bearings are the same internal diameter. Truvativ cranks use a system where the drive side is larger internally than the non drive side.

FWIW, I think you might be able to use a Shimano driveside cup. But not a non drive side one.
You are correct on the internal diameter, the drive sides are the same, but the width of the X-type bearing assemblies are different, so you would have to change the amount of spacers to be able to utilize that one Shimano side bearing. I did play with this out in the garage with my TruVative Stylo SS cranks and XT 760s and a RaceFace XC/AM X-type BB that last time I toasted bearings and was comparing all the parts laying around.

The left side TruVative X-type bearing acts like a lateral retainer for the cranks on the spline and determines the drive side arm's location, unlike Shimano where you seat both crank arms with the round retainer on the left one, then tighten the pinch bolts on the left one to hold the left arm on wherever it seated on the spindle, so that is why both sides of the TruVative are not the same.

So you would need to order a new TruVative BB. This does stink, because I have to stock more spare parts if I want to have a spare for that bike. Nobody stocks spare TruVative X-type bearings here either.

Cheers,

Dave

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks fellas. I guess I'll just have to wait (sigh)... LBS said they would have to order, but since I have been waiting for a warranty replacement BB for almost 2 weeks now, who knows how long it will take them to get it. The only one I found was on-line at AirBomb.com. I may just pick it up and install myself. Peace.

·
Now Uploading
1,110 Posts
AK47 said:
Thanks fellas. I guess I'll just have to wait (sigh)... LBS said they would have to order, but since I have been waiting for a warranty replacement BB for almost 2 weeks now, who knows how long it will take them to get it. The only one I found was on-line at AirBomb.com. I may just pick it up and install myself. Peace.
Just call SRAM (SRAM/Avid/RockShox/TruVativ) on Monday morning. Their customer service is excellent, they will be able to help you. If they can't direct you to a known stock source, they should be able to fix you up directly. Especially if your cranks are still under warranty.

Cheers,

Dave

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Search more sites

AK47 said:
I suggest shopping around a little more. I think that AirBomb and Beyond Bikes are the same company. Many people have had negative issues with Beyond. Long shipping times, out of stockes, poor customer relations and other stuff.....

If I am wrong I am sorry!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.