·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Excellent writeup.

A couple of points:
I use a side entry bottle cage and I can use a full-size bottle there, though I do have a 19".
Some people have used a 27.2mm seatpost. I've tried one at home and it fits so I'm looking at getting a 27.2 Thomson or other inline post to get a more forward position.

·
I dig trails!
5,580 Posts
ashwinearl said:
Thanks for the review! Incredibly thorough. Better than any of the rags.

Great point about the seat tube being so slack that it artificially extends the top tube. It happened to me. I had to retune the entire cockpit to get a good fit (90mm stem, straight post, 2in risers).

I also complain a bit about the high bottom bracket, as it forces the seat higher and adds to the artificial TT length. But I know it is good for some peeps and more rocky conditions. 30% sag also brings the BB down to a better level.

The rear is a bit flexy, but as Nate has commented, I dunno if that hurts my riding.

I believe the HP is the do it all machine. I am fortunate enough to have an adjustable travel fork (I didn't feel that way at first) and it allows me to tune the head angle to the riding, 100mm for carving, 120 for bombing.

I also love to feel the rear suspension sink into a high speed turn. It seems like it gives me more bike when I need it.

Amazing that you got yours down to 28 pounds, it inspires me to try for 30.
:p (Bzzzzt! Ouch! My weight Weenie shock collar just went off again. Must relax on the weight...)

Mr. P

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Speedub.Nate said:
Hey, not only is that a very comprehesive writeup, but you managed to dig up my initial review of the '03 Hollowpoint that I posted here on this site and which Dave eventually cut 'n pasted over to his original dw-link.com site. Ain't that Kewl!

Heh, heh, I prolly should bookmark it!
You wrote in that old review "After reading the forums several brands came to the forefront as being the best XC race frames. Turner and Titus were among the top contenders. Of course those are also boutique builders with price tags of $1000-$2k for a frame set alone, even used the prices are fairly high. I'm cheap, so these were out of the question for the time being."

$1000-$2000 for a boutique frame.... how much are the new Iron Horse frames going for?!?

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
danK said:
$1000-$2000 for a boutique frame.... how much are the new Iron Horse frames going for?!?
Actually, ashwinearl wrote that in his review (I didn't write that), and the more telling question is, "How much is a complete Turner or Titus of similar component spec selling for?"

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Speedub.Nate said:
Actually, ashwinearl wrote that in his review (I didn't write that), and the more telling question is, "How much is a complete Turner or Titus of similar component spec selling for?"
I'm thinking not much more. The 06 Azure Team is $$$$.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
danK said:
I'm thinking not much more. The 06 Azure Team is $$$$.
I've seen HP frames sell for $250 with a shock. Some of those were northface rebranded ones. Complete HP bikes have sold for $5-7, once parted out the frame would probably be $100-$300.

Azure team yes is pricey. But look at the component spec..pretty top end. Part that sucker out and the frame will be relatively cheap compared to a titus/turner.

Azure frames are the same across the board with the exception of the USA made Azure factory which is the only one you can buy as a frameset only. The pricetag on that, yes is up there with the boutiques because it is boutique.

Between the Azures you can go with a comp or expert and get the identical frame. Only difference seems to be the rear shock, with the higher spec'd one including a 5th element. Whether or not this is 'better' has been debated recently here anyway.

Patience is key for an Azure at a good price right now. The 05's (which are 06 frames with 05 parts spec) were released so late that it looks like few big chains bought em. Hence there aren't tons of them taking up space which would lead to great closeouts. Bicycle blowouts has a 19" Comp floor model for sale for $1529.
http://www.bicycleblowout.com/floor_specials.htm

And they'll order a comp in any size for $1599 or expert for $2499. Just taking estimates on ebay completed auctions a parted out comp might leave the frame costing $750 or so which isn't spectacular.

But come next year, when they are blowing out the 06s to make room for an 07 might be a good time for the kind of deals seen last year on the blowout 2004 HPs. Or we might get lucky and Rs cycle or someone will be blowing out some 05 Azures. But I look everyday online and don't find any except at Rscycle for the most part.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts