Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

Few days ago, I picked up my new '08 Stumpy Comp, went on a first ride, and I'm loving it. The store is offering an extra protection plan called Keep It Rolling from AMT Service Corp. It works like an extended warranty and covers pretty much everything (with some minor exceptions). They offer 3-year ($100) and 5-year ($180) plans.

The question is: is it worth it?

I was wondering if people here have used this plan, how it works for them and hear general comments about it.

Thanks,
- Daniel

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Never heard of an extended bike warranty. On the surface I would say it sounds like a money making scam. Are they gonna cover all the stuff that wears out? Cables, tires, housing, derailleurs, chain? If it's a "tune up" warranty then pass.

The frame has a limited lifetime warranty from specialized.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Extended warranties are the worst. The "small exceptions" you mentioned most likely include abuse, "not-normal wear and tear" and excessive force. Meaning they will pretty much not cover any failure except for MANUFACTURERS DEFECTS (which you would notice right away if there was a manufacturers defect, not after 3 years)

all they have to say is "you broke it" and you're SOL.

·
Registered
367 Posts
that sounds about right.

If you think about it, the frame is the most important part, and that has lifetime warranty from specialized. the rest of the components will last a long time, and it'll be things like crashing that'll break them. Usually people like it (kinda) when they break things because it means they have an excuse to upgrade with the latest models.

·
I need a new name
911 Posts
I messed up and bought the extended warranty for my car. It was a waste of money. Usually they have deductibles that leave you with the bill. It added about $20 to my payment so that is about $1200 I wasted. I guess the point I'm making is skip it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Normally, I never buy any extended warranties and generally agree that they are scams but since this is my first dual suspension "expensive" bike, I started thinking, maybe the extended warranty might be worth getting.

See, I don't really know which parts can break just from normal use and I don't know how much it costs to keep that kind of bike in a good running condition for.. say... 5 years. What is your experience guys?

BTW, it seems like the warranty covers normal wear and tear and there are no deductibles.

So I'm guessing that none of you guys have any extended warranties on your bike, right? What's the average cost of bike maintenance?

·
EDR
10,685 Posts
Extended warranties on camcorders and digital cameras that cover EVERYTHING are great.

..."oops, after 3 years and 364 days I accidentally dropped my camera into the toilet. Thanks Best Buy for the new updated camera that is cost the same but has all new technology".

Never heard of an extended warranty on a bike. Like others have said the frame is covered..the rest need not be covered any more than the manufacturer already does.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Yeah, in certain situations it can actually be great. Those electronics warranties are awesome, I think because of the competition in that industry, they offer more and more to get the customers.

I guess most people who are offered it would buy for a bike because you are laying down big money, you know there are lots of complex bits on it that are tricky to work with and if are offered 5-10% extra cost for what sounds like peace of mind, it seems worthwhile.

$180 doesn't sound so much when you are spending over $2000. But don't bike shops offer free tuning for life anyway!??

·
Registered
149 Posts
eatdrinkride said:
Extended warranties on camcorders and digital cameras that cover EVERYTHING are great.

..."oops, after 3 years and 364 days I accidentally dropped my camera into the toilet. Thanks Best Buy for the new updated camera that is cost the same but has all new technology".
thats what they tell you when you're buying it, but realistically that would never happen

best buy would say "you shoulda read the small print"

"but the sales associate said i can drop it in the toilet and its covered"

"sorry the fine print doesnt say that"

·
EDR
10,685 Posts
SanDiegan420 said:
thats what they tell you when you're buying it, but realistically that would never happen

best buy would say "you shoulda read the small print"

"but the sales associate said i can drop it in the toilet and its covered"

"sorry the fine print doesnt say that"
I speak from experience. My buddy is a real scam artist, imo. He has his expensive Sony equipment replaced right before every extended warranty expires. Somehow the power supply board gets shorted to 120vac every time. He's done this at least 3 times that I know of and walked away with brand new Sony equipment every time.

I'm not recommending anyone follow his lead, I'm just sayin...

·
Registered
149 Posts
TheDon said:
Yeah, in certain situations it can actually be great. Those electronics warranties are awesome, I think because of the competition in that industry, they offer more and more to get the customers.

I guess most people who are offered it would buy for a bike because you are laying down big money, you know there are lots of complex bits on it that are tricky to work with and if are offered 5-10% extra cost for what sounds like peace of mind, it seems worthwhile.
I had a bad experience at best buy. I bought an extended warranty for a computer that was not cheap. the computer failed and their excuse was "your warranty only covers hardware, not software" the ****ing harddrive failed and it has the word hard in it, what else do you need!!!!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't think comparing extended warranties for electronics with warranties for bikes is a good idea. Once your DVD player breaks, in most cases you are not going to replace/fix the broken part because it's cost-prohibitive. You would just get a new item (so getting the warranty might make sense).
You're not going to replace the whole bike when your rear detailer breaks. You would actually replace the part.

I was trying to get an idea if anyone here bought any kind of extended warranty for their bikes. It seems like no one has.

Also, I'm trying to get a better picture to see if spending $180 for 5-year extended warranty is worth the money (and I know it won't cover everything).

BTW, have any of you guys actually looked up the warranty terms? Here is the link:
http://www.amtrustgroup.com/contract/KeepItRolling.pdf

Thanks again,

P.S. I can't stop reading this forum - lots of good information.

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
Basically they dont come into effect until after the manufacture warranty expires, so far standard. They do not cover you if you do your own repairs because you must take it to a dealer. You are not covered on any upgrade components only the ones that are on the bike when purchased. I love the one that says "THE ELEMENTS OR ACTS OF GOD" :lol: They really are not offering anything unless you are planning to keep the bike stock and not ride much for the next 5 years. :thumbsup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.