Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
has anyone tried one of these on their knolly yet? I've never seen one in person but they look legit and I've read good things from other owners.
I have a storia V2 on my Knolly Warden. The shock is nicely done, has good features. They made the valving specifically for my Warden (they said), it comes heavily damped.
It's not a plush coil shock, like for example a cane creek or a Fox, the EXT is good for racers and fast riders.
I will probably take it to them to soften the compression tune, i can't really use the travel even if my SAG is good, 32%.
Never needed the lockout, with the storia the bobbing has completely gone.

I live 20 minutes from the factory in Vicenza so is not a big problem to me. It's a really weird coil shock, do not expect a trail eraser shock, is very reactive and progressive too (valving + hydraulic bottom out)

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
Heavily considered picking up one...but ultimately I think that I'm going to send a shock out for a custom tune. Sure, these guys will custom tune the Storia but I don't think there is anything groundbreaking going on there.
USA - I emailed Extreme, they forwarded my inquiry to the US-based sales guy. It took him 6 days to get back to me. Apparently there is service available for maintenance in the USA.

So, looking at this shock, you get LSC/LSR/HSC & a lockout. Thinner bottom out bumper...not sure how beneficial that is, wonder if they spec different thickness/rubber based on weight and frame.

Honestly, I'm likely going avalanche'd bomber cr on this one. Figure $350 for the shock shipped with spring, $335 for the Avalanche tune...$695 out the door for a well-reviewed service. He specifically states on his site that the Bomber CR is the BEST option to have him work on for rising rate linkage frames.
Fox Van Rc and Bomber CR Speed sensitive Damper SSD mods
I've had Avalanche tune shocks and forks in the past and my experiences have been good! Don't end up on a long phone call and let Craig work his magic.

·
Perpetual Hack
2,193 Posts
When I spoke to Craig at Avy, his recommendation for the Fugitive was either the reborn VanRC ie the Foxzocchi CR or the RS SuperDeluxe RCT coil.

I went the RS for my LT

·
Registered
122 Posts
Interesting...what made you go RS over the Marz
I ended up with the Marz. Considering you probably want a larger bumper, the RS should already fit Avy's bumper system, while the Marz does not and is an additional cost. If you don't want extra bottom out then it doesn't matter.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Thanks for chiming in James. Thoughts on the Avy vs. DHX2?
There really isn't much of a comparison. I'm working on a real review, life just happens and I haven't sat down to get footage recorded.

DHX2 blew up on me. The shaft is smaller in diameter, and I'm not sure exactly what my issue is (haven't had time to warranty it yet), but I was leaking oil out of the shaft and now have some nice squelching noises. Had the same thing happen on an X2 as well. The DHX2 also doesn't have a good progressive bumper. The bumper basically exists to prevent destroying the shock.

The Avy tune has been great. Just like all of the reviews, it's pretty firm LSC but opens up really nicely at high speeds. DHX2 would still bob a bit on climbs, that doesn't happy anymore with the Avy tune. I've also got a larger bumper for more progressing. Talking to Craig, he said that the curve flattens out at the end stroke (progressive but flatter end stroke) and I could either go up a spring rate, or use the right spring rate and throw in the bumper. I opted for the latter route.

At the end of the day, I'd pick the Avy tune pretty much every time. That being said the DHX2 is great, I just couldn't quite get it where I wanted it. And if anyone is looking for a coil upgrade to their Fugitive I've got a DHX2 to off load ;)

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
There really isn't much of a comparison. I'm working on a real review, life just happens and I haven't sat down to get footage recorded.

DHX2 blew up on me. The shaft is smaller in diameter, and I'm not sure exactly what my issue is (haven't had time to warranty it yet), but I was leaking oil out of the shaft and now have some nice squelching noises. Had the same thing happen on an X2 as well. The DHX2 also doesn't have a good progressive bumper. The bumper basically exists to prevent destroying the shock.

The Avy tune has been great. Just like all of the reviews, it's pretty firm LSC but opens up really nicely at high speeds. DHX2 would still bob a bit on climbs, that doesn't happy anymore with the Avy tune. I've also got a larger bumper for more progressing. Talking to Craig, he said that the curve flattens out at the end stroke (progressive but flatter end stroke) and I could either go up a spring rate, or use the right spring rate and throw in the bumper. I opted for the latter route.

At the end of the day, I'd pick the Avy tune pretty much every time. That being said the DHX2 is great, I just couldn't quite get it where I wanted it. And if anyone is looking for a coil upgrade to their Fugitive I've got a DHX2 to off load ;)
Thanks so much for taking the time to chime in man. I've run my Chilcotin fully Avy'd (Lyrik cart and Woodie) so I'm familiar with what he can do.
I felt like I could always get the Endo w/ CCDB coil to be about 85% of how good I could get my chili, which was good enough as I was only riding at about 90% of how hard I had pushed myself due to injury.
I'm digging the CCDB Air on the Fugitive right now, but I miss the coil suppleness in the chunk/off camber where the air just doesn't keep up and track quite as well.

I've got an order in for a Fozocchi that will ship straight to Craig for a tune/bumper. I am really looking forward to it - it should be a great match to the Cane Creek Helm Coil that rewards pushing hard!

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Any update?
One update. The shock I purchased came with a 475 spring and its too light. So I ordered an MRP progressive 550 spring. My thinking is that the Fox X2 air shock I have on there right now already has two volume spacers and I was going to add a third. Clearly the delirium benefits from a little bit of progression in the shock. Unfortunately I'm out of town this weekend so I wont get a chance to properly test it until the following week.

Also? Stop copying my bikes! lol I have the same crank and pedal setup on my raw fugitive. The Delirium is going to serve as a test bed for the EXT and progressive spring before taking the plunge on the price of a new one for the fugitive.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok boys. Here she is installed on my delirium with the MRP 550 progressive spring. Haven't had a chance to ride it yet. Just bounced around a little in front of the house last night. Feels like a shock, lol. I will say that the Lok lever feels overly aggressive when fully closed. Much different than the cane creek. Guess I'll use it sparingly. Spoke to Andrew Brennan earlier today and his recommendation was to start with compression adjusters at full soft and the rebound at 4 clicks from full closed (+). So that's what I'll do this evening

·
Registered
276 Posts
This is mine, finally works as intended after 2 changes in the shim stack for free right from the factory.
They softened the shim stack in compression in 2 steps, they also softened the rebound because i had to run it full open.
They also changed the spring from 450 lbs to 425 lbs, it was too hard.
Was really a pain but i'm there finally, i have lost the lockout though, it probably worked by putting a large shim to cover the piston to stop oil flowing at low speed, well i don't care, i expected it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.