Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just got the haro 8.1 and i like it alot just need to get some stronger rims and better forks. speaking of forks i just talk to the LBS and they said i can trade in my mz comp forks for the exr pro coil forks for 75 bucks installed. i would like to do it because the exr pros are a lot better fork but am i going to have problems with them bottoming out hard off of drops and jumps or not. i usaully just ride on the streets and sometimes on the trails if it isnt to hot out here is scottsdalel. the biggest drop i would be doing is no bigger then 6 to 7 foot and maybe a 15 foot jump (note i am 6,3 and 265) just kinda wondering how they would hold up for me
o yeah and is there a 120mm upgrade for those forks

Thanks Brandon

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
WATTO said:
i just got the haro 8.1 and i like it alot just need to get some stronger rims and better forks. speaking of forks i just talk to the LBS and they said i can trade in my mz comp forks for the exr pro coil forks for 75 bucks installed. i would like to do it because the exr pros are a lot better fork but am i going to have problems with them bottoming out hard off of drops and jumps or not. i usaully just ride on the streets and sometimes on the trails if it isnt to hot out here is scottsdalel. the biggest drop i would be doing is no bigger then 6 to 7 foot and maybe a 15 foot jump (note i am 6,3 and 265) just kinda wondering how they would hold up for me

Thanks Brandon
265 lbs and you're considering doing 7' drops on a single-crown XC/All-mountain fork? Seriously I think you're using the wrong equipment for that kind of riding at your weight. That setup can probably handle a 150lb rider doing that but I'd be pretty leary of it at your weight.

If you are going to ride XC or rough XC (ie all-mountain) that fork should be fine just be sure to get the heaviest coils they offer.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for pointing that out to me i didnt relieze that they were a xc fork i have been out of biking for a while. well now that that is out of the question what would be a good fork for my weight and riding style i want to stay with a single crown fork. i have dont 5 foot drops on the stock forks but they arent going to hold up for much longer. sorry for my stupidity. im new and i dont know what to do

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
WATTO said:
thanks for pointing that out to me i didnt relieze that they were a xc fork i have been out of biking for a while. well now that that is out of the question what would be a good fork for my weight and riding style i want to stay with a single crown fork. i have dont 5 foot drops on the stock forks but they arent going to hold up for much longer. sorry for my stupidity. im new and i dont know what to do
Look at forks that at least have a 20mm thru axle, I don't do that kind of riding anymore so I haven't kept up with the equipment but something along the lines of a single-crown shiver or Z1FR would be more appropriate.

·
Steamroller
1,227 Posts
Check spring rates before buying

Coil sprung forks are nice, but only if you can get a stiff enough spring. I bought a new, expensive bike several years ago and ordered the extra firm spring for the stock fork at the same time. When it arrived it was still way too soft. It turns out the extra firm spring was still only rated for riders of 180-220# and I was 265 back then. I ended up selling a new fork and buying an Marzocchi fork which was air sprung. Air or air with coil forks are all I have have used since.

I don't know if any of the fork makers would suggest a single crown fork for someone of your weight doing 5' drops.........except maybe something with a 1.5" steerer and 20mm thru-axel. Fork failures rank up there pretty high on the "worst things that can happen on a bike" list.

·
I railed it like Kong
637 Posts
Check the Marzocchi line of Dirt Jumper's or Drop Offs if you planning dropping like that. Your braver than me, last time i checked pigs don't fly. :p

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah i know pigs dont fly but i learned now. i am thinking of getting the dj 3's how would they hold up i was told that it would be much of an upgrade from what i have that is why i kinda steered around them

·
Registered
421 Posts
WATTO said:

Thanks Brandon
I have the EXR Pro coil and weight about 200. It is much stronger than expected but it is not a freeride fork. I do 7+' to transistion and it handles it fine.

The fork is a pain to set up. You would have to change the oil to a heavier viscosity as well as add more than the stock amount to prevent bottoming.

At 265#, I'd be willing to bet you'd snap the EXR after one 7 foot flat drop. Look for something else.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
i try not to do drops onto flats of that reason i dont wait to break stuff but do you think for a 75 dollar trade in it would be worth it to upgrade to them for now until i can get the fork i want. i wil probably have the bike shop help me set them up just becuase i havnt worked on may forks before. i will have them put in the x firm springs. or should i say screw it and get the dj 3's.

o yeah what do you guys think about buying mtb parts off of ebay. i usallay try and stay away from there but you can finds some good deals on stuff

thanks Brandon

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well i said screw it and i am got a better deal on some manitou stance flow forks. 125 installed with tradeing in my forks i think 6 inches of travel should be enough. will have the lbs change the weight oil for me o yeah its the 20mm axle too so that should stiffen it up a little. also i am getting the azonic outlam wheelset which was highly recomended to me by one of he guys at the shop :D

·
Registered
421 Posts
WATTO said:
well i said screw it and i am got a better deal on some manitou stance flow forks. 125 installed with tradeing in my forks i think 6 inches of travel should be enough. will have the lbs change the weight oil for me o yeah its the 20mm axle too so that should stiffen it up a little. also i am getting the azonic outlam wheelset which was highly recomended to me by one of he guys at the shop :D
Good deal. 20mm will stiffen it up a lot.

I'm getting a set of azonic outlaws as well. They're supposed to be killer rims.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.