Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was headed to a race, and I had my bike on the roof of our CR-V. I pulled the car and bike in...they pulled the car, the bike and part of their garage out!!!

My carbon NRS was banged pretty damn hard. Fork is broken, handlebars fractured, stem scratched, gear indicators trashed and brakes are messed up.

I have my pick of any bike under $7500 from the insurance company, and I don't know what to do...

Titus Racer-x ExoGrid (26 or 29)
Merlin Works 4.0 (26)
C-dale Scalpel Team (26)
Moots XZ (29)

I can't find any good serious ride reports of the Scalpel or Moots. Plenty of people have posted how light they can get their Scalpel or why they don't like the color, but I can't seem to find good ride reports, suspension descriptions or dislikes. I am riding a Merlin tomorrow and rode a Racer-X a couple of weeks ago.

Attachments

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They have two garage doors. One you pull into the other, then get you oil changed and drive straight out the other side.

They had the entrance garage door all the way open and the exit door was only opened enough to drive the truck through. The bike got hammered while sitting on the fork mount.

It dented the CR-V, bent the Viper mount all up and scratched the factory roof rack.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am buying the NRS from the insurance company to speed the process up. I will have to pay the bike shop that orders the new bike an even $1000 for whatever I decide to get.

The frame could possibly be ridden, and many other parts are usable. I thought it was a fair deal.

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
45,818 Posts
That sucks! I to say it but you are "somewhat" at fault here. But either way they were negligent and should pay for it.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There was about four employees standing around starring at my bike. I must have had some kinda look on my face when I asked if the smashed garage door was from my bike. The only response was from one of the guys that watched it happened, "Yep, it wasn't pretty".

I am not interested in a hardtail since I have a SS, but I did take a look at the Spark 10. Nice bike but I have no way of test riding.

I rode a Merlin Works 4.0 (same bike as the $10k Ellsworth Oracle) and it rode really well. It descended much quicker than the NRS. The rear end was stiffer and tracked better. I have never ridden a bike that stable in tight fast singletrack.. Climbing was a bit sluggish and I that might steer me from the Merlin; its still in the running though. (I live in Chattanooga where Litespeed and Merlin are manufactured so it would be nice to buy locally.) I picked up a Cannondale Scalpel demo from the shop this afternoon. I'm going to take it out in the morning. The rear end doesn't feel soft enough for me though. I have a bit of work induced back trouble as it is. We'll see.

as it stands...(in no particular order)
Moots ZX
Merlin Works 4.0
Titus Exogrid (29er most likely)
Yeti ASR Carbon
Scott Spark 10

·
Ain't afraid of no ghosts
309 Posts
TrekFan said:
who in the hell stops for an oil change with a $$$ bike strapped to their roof and headed to a race no less?
A guy who's looking to get insurance to buy him a new bike.

I kid :p

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
TrekFan said:
who in the hell stops for an oil change with a $$$ bike strapped to their roof and headed to a race no less?
a guy looking for a new bike!!!

I actually bought the NRS from the insurance company so I can use the undamaged parts for a new 26in build. Thats why I am leaning toward a 29in bike.

I need help narrowing things down.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.