Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to invest in the exposure lights

Options are

Joystick +white eye
Diablo mk2
Race mk5
Strada mk2

Which one to get?

Type of riding single track not fireroad or major drops.
20km/h or less
 

·
Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
Joined
·
1,546 Posts
r29 said:
I am looking to invest in the exposure lights

Options are

Joystick +white eye
Diablo mk2
Race mk5
Strada mk2

Which one to get?

Type of riding single track not fireroad or major drops.
20km/h or less
I really like the Diablo mk2 (I just rode tonight with mine). Small, light and powerful. Only potential downside is the run time if you like to use high mode... a little over 1 hour, but if you're willing to run at medium, then you're good for 3 hours run time. At medium you've got essentially the same brightness as the Joystick but the Diablo gives you that next level up for the times when you want it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
within the the ones i listed

the diablo would best bang for buck.

I can always get the extra batts to piggyback it.

reason I am asking is because I found the race/strada for nearly the same price as a diablo.

What would be a good compliment to the diablo for bar mount?

I have look at other lights but I do not want to strap a battery onto my stem or else where on bike.

Thanks kwarwick
 

·
Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
Joined
·
1,546 Posts
r29 said:
within the the ones i listed

the diablo would best bang for buck.

I can always get the extra batts to piggyback it.

reason I am asking is because I found the race/strada for nearly the same price as a diablo.

What would be a good compliment to the diablo for bar mount?

I have look at other lights but I do not want to strap a battery onto my stem or else where on bike.

Thanks kwarwick
For a bar light with an integrated battery the choices are pretty much only Exposure again. I'd say a good complement to the Diablo on your helmet would be a Maxx-D mk3 or if you want to go over the top, the Six Pack!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do not think I will need the six pack.

I'll get the diablo for now see ride for awhile and see what I need.

Just looking to invest in a light to do some night riding.
Might as well spend the extra money on a light that will last and be useful then spend less and needing to upgrade very soon
 

·
Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
Joined
·
1,546 Posts
r29 said:
Do not think I will need the six pack.

I'll get the diablo for now see ride for awhile and see what I need.

Just looking to invest in a light to do some night riding.
Might as well spend the extra money on a light that will last and be useful then spend less and needing to upgrade very soon
Oh I agree that the Six Pack is likely too much for the majority, I was just throwing it out there in case you were one that just had to have the brightest. I'd say starting off with the Diablo on your helmet is a good plan and that might very well be all you need. Personally I like to ride with a helmet and a bar light... the bar light just provides more fill lighting and the helmet light allows you to send light in the direction your head is pointing, which is especially important for single track riding where it allows you to look around the bends.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
Try contacting them... they pointed me to their blog that had discount codes but I'm sure the codes are expired. The 2010 model is $250.

I wonder if they'd do discounts for a group buy. I want a piggy!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Damnilocano thanks.

Can someone tell the how long the diablo runs on high/med/low with 1 cell piggy vs 3 cell piggy.

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
The below is printed on the piggyback package from the manufacture. I didn't find a need to use it at high. Medium is plenty bright for me.

Standard: High - 1Hr; Med - 3Hrs; Low - 10 Hrs
1 Cell Piggyback: High - 2Hrs; Med - 6Hrs; Low - 20Hrs
3 Cell Piggyback: High - 4Hrs; Med - 12Hrs; Low - 40Hrs
 

·
turtles make me hot
Joined
·
11,603 Posts
I have the Toro on my handlebars and the Diablo for my helmet. I run both on medium. If I run the Diablo on high, it washes out a little by reflecting off the moisture in the air, I guess. I'm nearsighted and 44, so I don't have the best eyes ever and these lights are plenty. I can ride just as fast at night with these lights as I can in daylight.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
135 Posts
If you buy an Exposure Light from Wiggle or ChainReaction it comes with a UK charger, not a US Charger. They are not allowed to sell US Chargers. Plus if you have an issue with it, you have to send it back through your place of purchase. Support your US Retailers!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I will support my Canadian retailers lol.

I would love to buy local but every cent counts
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
I bought mine from Ibexsports.com. It's a US distributor with one of the best service and fast shipping. I would recommend them. I would not recommend buying from UK vendors like ChainReaction because the shipment will be subjected to custom and will be held up by custom which could take up to a month or more before you received your shipment (even though they shipped immediately).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
menatwork_mn123 said:
I bought mine from Ibexsports.com. It's a US distributor with one of the best service and fast shipping. I would recommend them. I would not recommend buying from UK vendors like ChainReaction because the shipment will be subjected to custom and will be held up by custom which could take up to a month or more before you received your shipment (even though they shipped immediately).
I've ordered from various UK vendors dozens of times (just got a shipment from Chain Reaction this Monday, ordered last Tuesday) and have never had items held up in US customs or take longer than ten days. They include customs forms on the outside of the box and I've never even seen that customs has checked those forms.

I will say however that for my Diablo2, I used Ibex Sports as I didn't want to monkey with a 220v charger, or just USB.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top