Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Internal cabling is fine for the dropper and shifter so long as the frame has tube-in-tube routing. I'd prefer my brake lines outside where it's easier to deal with fluid.

I prefer mechanical over electronic because I've got enough batteries to charge in my life without adding two more.

·
Registered
16,905 Posts
No cables (all electronic or hydraulic).

For the love of god, could anyone really go back to rim brakes?

·
Rides all the bikes!
4,083 Posts
Last time I changed an internal cable housing, I was surprised how easy it was. I was dreading doing it, took me the same amount of time as doing external (because I didn't have all the cable clambs/zip ties). So, I am fine for internal. I haven't had to deal with brake hoses on any of my bikes yet. Is that something you all do that often?

I prefer mechanical shifting because I just don't like batteries on critical systems. I don't need a GPS to ride. I don't need a power meter to ride. But I don't want to have to rely on a battery to shift. All my bikes are mechanical. I think electronic is cool, but, I just don't want it.

I grew up on points ignition and multiple carburetors. I currently drive a 1995 diesel and a 2003 motorcycle, so I already deal with a mix of old and new.

·
Registered
16,905 Posts
Last time I changed an internal cable housing, I was surprised how easy it was. I was dreading doing it, took me the same amount of time as doing external (because I didn't have all the cable clambs/zip ties). So, I am fine for internal. I haven't had to deal with brake hoses on any of my bikes yet. Is that something you all do that often?

I prefer mechanical shifting because I just don't like batteries on critical systems. I don't need a GPS to ride. I don't need a power meter to ride. But I don't want to have to rely on a battery to shift. All my bikes are mechanical. I think electronic is cool, but, I just don't want it.

I grew up on points ignition and multiple carburetors. I currently drive a 1995 diesel and a 2003 motorcycle, so I already deal with a mix of old and new.
Brake hoses need zero maintenance. Once they’re cut to length and set up they’re good until you happen to damage one in a crash or other mishap. You do need to bleed the brakes on occasion but it’s usually a simple task.

·
Disgruntled Peccary
2,990 Posts
Brake hoses need zero maintenance. Once they’re cut to length and set up they’re good until you happen to damage one in a crash or other mishap. You do need to bleed the brakes on occasion but it’s usually a simple task.
Yep, but man its so much easier to do that initial bleed off the bike. I also just dislike the fiddling with it, mostly because I don't care about the aesthetics.

·
Single Track Mind
903 Posts
Full internal routing: Just as easy to deal with as external routing, but only needs to be done 1/2 as often. This equals a net gain IMHO. As for brake lines, I have never had to mess with them. I even upgraded the brakes and used the same lines. They are literally set and forget.

I am fine with either mechanical or electronic shifting; though, I haven't tried electronic shifting yet, so that opinion could change. But, I see an avalanche of satisfied AXS users compared to just a few legitimate complaints.

And, I'll take new all day long. There is no foreseeable reason why I would ever go back to rim brakes. I do not miss that nefarious feeling of seeing a sharp bend at the end of a steep downhill, grabbing two handfuls of brake, only to feel the wheels spinning through the pads as if they weren't even there- forcing me to plan a low-side slide just to keep from tumbling down the mountainside. Totally good with bleeding my brakes once a year whether they need it or not.

·
Registered
16,905 Posts
Yep, but man its so much easier to do that initial bleed off the bike. I also just dislike the fiddling with it, mostly because I don't care about the aesthetics.
That is true. On my most recent hydro brakes I haven't had to do a full bleed fortunately. I was able to trim the hose to length at the lever then do a lever bleed.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts