Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the advancements in frame and component tech, we now have bikes that shift from a light tap on a switch with not a single cable in sight but the price increases across the board for all the "better" stuff feels like swimming against a riptide.

I'm having the feeling of going back to basics, being able to feel the exposed shifter / brake cable taut across the frame and being able to pluck on it like a well tuned guitar.

Setting a dialed in drive train like a well tuned carburetor and having to maintain it and compensate for cable stretch along the way.

Benefiting from the weight saving from a rim brake set-up rather than trying to shave off another hundred grams from various components at exponential prices.

And for all of the above, I have come into possession a used Giant TCR Composite frame which I'm gonna take my time to collect parts and build.

Anyone feeling the same way or am I experiencing a case of "Beggars can't be choosers"

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Exposed cabling vs full internal routing / Electronic vs Mechanical / Old vs New

Shoulda been a survey...

Exposed cabling vs full internal routing : exposed

Electronic vs Mechanical: mechanical

Old vs New: new

Reactions: frdfandc

·
Never trust a fart
4,482 Posts
Exposed cabling vs full internal routing / Electronic vs Mechanical / Old vs New

Shoulda been a survey...

Exposed cabling vs full internal routing : exposed

Electronic vs Mechanical: mechanical

Old vs New: new
I like poals

Exposed
Mechanical
New

·
Registered
15,820 Posts
You're not talking about split vs full housing are you? The guitar twang thing is throwing me off a little. Otherwise-

Internal
Either
New

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
You're not talking about split vs full housing are you? The guitar twang thing is throwing me off a little. Otherwise-
Good point. My exposed response means, exposed cabling versus internal (in frame) cabling. Not a fan of guitar strings.

·
Disgruntled Peccary
2,989 Posts
I don't miss exposed inner cable, gimme full housing. I don't like internal routing though, at all. I get it, it looks 'better' but... Rim brakes? Don't miss em. I'm completely agnostic in regards to shifter actuation.

·
Disgruntled Peccary
2,989 Posts
None of my cars have "well-tuned carburetors" anymore -- for which I'm thankful!
Or points. I don't see many people complaining about electronically controlled ignition.

Reactions: Sidewalk and Nat

·
Banned
2,292 Posts
Full housing all ways on any FS, I have seen to many poorly set up cables stops that caused ghost shifting. On a hardtail there is the dirt and grime thing so full housing there as well.

Also for brakes, EXTERNAL routing, like transition. There is no point to internal brake routing.

Electronic, I love the way it shifts, but I do nt like charging batteries or risking running out. The only electronics I might use in the future is the RS suspension system.

·
Disgruntled Peccary
2,989 Posts
Yeah sanding burnt points and setting the gaps... those were the days!
I mean if you're really hard-core... we need to bring back tappets too!

(there are parallels between the adoption of these in automotive, and current bike trends ;) )

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I don't know if I ever owned a car with points, but carbs gave me trouble...
I like carbs. No problem with them until there were more than one... had a '69 Chevelle with two 4 barrels, and a 409 with six two barrels. Adjustment nightmares.

·
Disgruntled Peccary
2,989 Posts
I like carbs. No problem with them until there were more than one... had a '69 Chevelle with two 4 barrels, and a 409 with six two barrels. Adjustment nightmares.
Yea, synching multiple carbs is a pain.

Reactions: Sidewalk

·
Elitest thrill junkie
37,060 Posts
1 - 20 of 30 Posts