Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
( for the Kona aficionados ) ... Does anyone know for certain?

In the mid to late 90`s Kona was producing the Explosif and Kilauea cromoly steel frames. Some years they were Tange prestige tubing, some Columbus and some Reynolds... are they the exact same frame with a different name?

If not - what`s the difference?

And what is the BEST tubing in your opinion? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah - I felt that might be the case but when you see the two together in photos they look identical. So basically , even thought the two frames geometry may be the same - the tubes on the Explosif are of higher quality... Yes??

·
Registered
213 Posts
Tubing

You might find this link useful - http://kona.dk/bikeindex.php?yearId=8

Explosif has always been the higher end of the two models.

Its difficult to see any difference between Kona steel frames as bikes tend to use standard dia tubing for the main frame tubes and I suspect they all use Kona double butted tubing for the stays regardless of the model. The main difference is internally where the higher spec tubing allows thinner tube walls to be used (lighter & better ride).

Saying that my '96 Explosif uses Columbus Max OR tubing which in pictures looks like normal tubing but in the flesh the tube ovalisation on the top & down tubes is quite noticable. Btw the '96 Explosif is my fave (biased) and avoid the '93 (if u could find one) as they're too light (I had one crack around the downtube). I also had one of the first '92 Kilauea and it was only a simple Double Butted frame so nothing special.

Cheers,

Alex

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alex - thanks for the info. I actually had a 97 Max OR Explosif. A very nice riding frame but alas, it was too small for me at 18". I really should have a 19" so I`m in search of one now. But I would take the Kilauea all the same.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.