Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
parenting for gnarness
6,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TheBarqsMan and I did a little tour of the trails in the Sups last weekend. Not too much has been written about these trails on MTBR - this should add to the knowledge base. Some good stuff, some work, and it gives us the ability to hook Hawes all the way up to Peralta. A few pics below. More pics and lots of blather here:

https://chollaball.net/blog/2010/01/exploring-the-superstitions.html

2010_0109_superstitions_20

2010_0109_superstitions_04_blog

2010_0109_superstitions_16_blog

·
I love bike!
1,154 Posts
Nice writeup CB. I've ridden the east part of lost goldmine a few times. Only out and back tho. Not really sure where the loop connectors are off the main trail? Is the eastern connector where Mike is rolling down the drop? I might know where that spot is. Which direction did you loop (CW or CCW)?

Don't do the GPS thang so I've gotta somewhat wing it most the time.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Nice trail!

I rode this trail for the first time on Saturday 1/9/10. Starting from the Cloudview lot, rode out on Lost Goldmine until coming to a gate, then turned around and headed down two track until picking up Single track again. The trails are a little hard to find, but well worth the effort. Lost Goldmine is way fun, The lower (I think theye are considered east trails) single track trails are fast and swoopy, Not challenging, but fun nonetheless.

I think that out-back on lost goldmine may be more fun than the loop...The lower trails lull you to sleep with the extreme lack of tech, except for the stacked up "obstacles" that are here and there along the way..I chuckle every time I see one.

If someone knows how to piece together a route from Hawes or Usery to these trails, I'm all ears. That would make for a good, long ride (probably stop somewhere along the way for food and a beverage even...)

·
SamuraiBunnyGuy
2,587 Posts
hanggliding would kick ass off of that cliff... although there would probably be no place to safely put down...

overall, are you recommending these trails, or are they just too rough and rocky to make it an enjoyable riding experience (compared to the other systems)? this is one of the areas i'm considering buying a house (GC)

·
parenting for gnarness
6,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
dsittman said:
Nice writeup CB. I've ridden the east part of lost goldmine a few times. Only out and back tho. Not really sure where the loop connectors are off the main trail? Is the eastern connector where Mike is rolling down the drop? I might know where that spot is. Which direction did you loop (CW or CCW)?

Don't do the GPS thang so I've gotta somewhat wing it most the time.
We rode generally CW, not real sure landmark-wise when we spurred off the Lost Goldmine Trail, but once we were on it it seemed pretty easy to follow. The drop was very close to where we spurred off. Next time I do this I expect it to be part of the big East Mesa epic, so I will have my gps.

We did not make it all the way out to Peralta, but what we rode as a loop was a ton of fun. Not Somo techy, but the moves were good intermediate challenges and I imagine tough for non-tech riders, and the 180s were a total blast. It was easily one of the funner swoopier trails I've been on in a while.

I would ride East Goldmine again without a doubt, but as for it pushing my decision to live there there...no. You can do a lot better imo if you are specifically looking to live next to a system.

·
Scott in Tucson
1,331 Posts
Thanks for the post. I really need to get out there....

AZT goes through wilderness and we need to utilize these trails for the AZT bike route. Goal is to get from Florence Junction to Tortilla Flat with as little road as possible, and hopefully not insane amounts of hike-a-bike. I may need to pick your brain and beg for GPX at some point.

·
parenting for gnarness
6,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Krein said:
Thanks for the post. I really need to get out there....

AZT goes through wilderness and we need to utilize these trails for the AZT bike route. Goal is to get from Florence Junction to Tortilla Flat with as little road as possible, and hopefully not insane amounts of hike-a-bike. I may need to pick your brain and beg for GPX at some point.
gpx attached as a zip file. have fun!

is there anything that goes up to Tortilla? I've never seen anything that looks like a jeep road. Must be very rugged if it exists.

Attachments

·
MTBikeAZ.com
117 Posts

·
Scott in Tucson
1,331 Posts
chollaball said:
gpx attached as a zip file. have fun!

is there anything that goes up to Tortilla? I've never seen anything that looks like a jeep road. Must be very rugged if it exists.
No, I think the best you can do is the state park (Lost Dutchman?) because the wilderness boundary is so close to the road to Tortilla.

Thanks a bunch for the GPX.

That drop reminds me of Area 52 -- the rock, anyway.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Krein said:
No, I think the best you can do is the state park (Lost Dutchman?) because the wilderness boundary is so close to the road to Tortilla.

Thanks a bunch for the GPX.

That drop reminds me of Area 52 -- the rock, anyway.
Jacob's crosscut goes over to the firstwater trail road along the edge of the wilderness and the first firstwater trail parking lot has some paths heading north that aren't in the wilderness. They will not get you more than a few miles at best though, but you could theoretically get back to the road so you'd get a mile or two of less asphalt. The canyon that heads from First Water Trail down to the first bridge at the lake pretty much precludes trails back to Tortilla that aren't in the wilderness or extremely technical at best since the wilderness basically eats up all the upper parts of the canyons that have less cliffs. I think the wilderness comes down to the road by the lake too so that also makes things difficult.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.