Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Karma Vampire
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK dufus here lost the sketch I made of my CK SS drive shell when I took it apart a few weeks ago. I got distracted with a move and bla, bla.... Now I am trying to put everything back together. Can't find and an exploded view in the Technical Service Manual or on the CK website. I tried emailing CK but I think they are on Holiday.

Here is the order I seem to recall them going in back into the SS shell:
1) white inner seal
2) drive shell bearing (ballz out facing outboard)
3) Capture plate #1
4) needle bearing race
5) needle bearing
6) capture plate #2
7) threaded seal ring

If someone who has the CK SS hubs and knows how these go together could confirm my assembly order above and/or has a scan of a sketch they could attach to this forum post, I would be very grateful.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
follow-up question, can I grab a CK ss freehub body and pop it onto a regular mountain hub, shorten the axle, then end up with a CK 120mm wide ss hub for my steamroller??
:D

(somebody please say yes!)

·
Registered
246 Posts
Take a look at the movies here. Check out Driveshell Reassembly. The Tech service manual has similar info in text. I don't have a SS hub, but I did use this info to completely service 9-speed hubs. With a hub tool of course.

Good luck.

-Mud

·
Karma Vampire
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Still hoping to get help from someone with a SINGLE SPEED Hub

Thanks for the add-on question and the 8/9-spd suggestion. Luckily, I have several sketches of my CK 8/9-speed version.

However, because the single speed drive shell is shorter, the internal parts of the drive shell are slightly different. So I am still looking for a sketch or confirmation of the assy order.

·
'Calm Down'
855 Posts
Yes it is. That's what I was directed to by King the first time I had one apart. Unfortunately I've never found an exploded view of a SS hub, just the text in the Tech Manual.

jw

tscheezy said:
Isn't it the same as the reassembly of the BMX drive shell mechanism (page 39 of the tech manual)?

·
Karma Vampire
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought the same thing regarding the BMX drive shell. However, the instructions (again no picture) doesn't seem to mention some of the parts I have listed above. No mention of capture plates or needbearing race. I didnot need the tool to install the needlebearing cage. It just doesn't seem to match the SS hub I have. I was hoping someone could post a sketch. I went ahead and put it back as I mentioned above.

It seem to work to perfection yesterday for a day of bone jarring riding on iced covered trails.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I once had almost same question (normal to SS Drive Shell conversion). Finally I got answer from CK tech.
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=4566632#poststop

For SS Drive Shell
in order bottom to top :
1: inner seal,
2: DS Bearing,
3: capture plate,
4: needle race,
5:needle bearing,
6:capture plate,
7:seal ring.

So,29again, your assembly order is right, I believe.

(Following is FYI content)
For Normal Drive Shell
1: inner seal,
2: DS Bearing,
3: capture sleeve,
4: needle race,
5: needle bearing,
6: capture plate,
7: seal ring

So for these conversion (the normal to SS Drive Shell) needs extra capture plate. All other parts for Drive shell are interchangeble (sorry but I don't have any info about BMX DS).

Hope this helps,

-Aki

·
Karma Vampire
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks

Thanks angrybee. I thought the #3-plate vs #3-sleeve was the main difference between the SS vs 8/9-spd drive shell assy. I think the sleeve makes up for the longer drive shell in the 8/9-spd version. I wonder why CK hasn't clarified the SS specific information on the website with a video/diagram. Thanks to all who replied to my post.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.