Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Slave to the grind
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i love my silver xen to death. its been protecting my noggin running on about 5-6 years now i think. super comfy and fits me like a glove..i mean.. yeah im you get it.

finally sprang for a new xen in the weird chalky matte color.

now the question is.. what do i do with the old one? we've been through a lot together and i havent the heart to wreck it or toss it in the trash. it would also be foolish to pass it on to someone else in need for the same reason i should stop using it.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Leave it in your car, next time you are riding your favorite trail give it to the dumb kid riding around without a helmet.

·
I live to bike
2,394 Posts
back up. if you crash and break the new one, you can still wear it until you replace the other.

That, and I don't think the foam really breaks down, so the helmet probably does still have some life left.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Wouldn't toss it in the car as one of the main warnings is to keep out of excessive heat like inside a locked car. I would wash and clean it and hang it up as a backup for you or in case a friend needs one to borrow. I never toss my old helmets, even if they've had a knock, as some form of protection is better than none and I've had to lend helmets out quite a bit.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Helmets definitely break down and i won't ride one more than a few years. Between the colorado sun, the heat when it sit's in my car while I am at work and not to mention all the horrendous sweat soaking into it.....
Believe it or not but quality motorcycle helmets have a born on date inside the strap. Manufacturers claim (I am not saying i know this by fact) that if a helmet has sat on a showroom floor for more than 5 years they scrap them. It could be a great way for people to replace their helmets more often but I am going to trust their judgement.

back up. if you crash and break the new one, you can still wear it until you replace the other.

That, and I don't think the foam really breaks down, so the helmet probably does still have some life left.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Giro recommends new helmet every 3 year. I don't know what's the science behind that but I don't want to experiment with myself or let somebody else do it for me. Toss it.
If you want a backup helmet, just buy a new one.

Helmet $80. Not spending a night, or two, at the hospital, priceless.

·
Slave to the grind
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ummm i have another sorta expired spesh helmet which is now my night riding, light mount helmet hehehe.

·
saddlemeat
3,873 Posts
Old helmets make good chicken nests, just screw them upsidedown to a 2x4. :thumbsup:

·
since 4/10/2009
30,807 Posts
Giro recommends new helmet every 3 year. I don't know what's the science behind that but I don't want to experiment with myself or let somebody else do it for me. Toss it.
If you want a backup helmet, just buy a new one.

Helmet $80. Not spending a night, or two, at the hospital, priceless.
The "science" behind it (I only am aware of part of it) is that some of the chemicals in the foam that keep it pliable (called plasticizers) off-gas over time and the foam becomes more brittle. it doesn't lose all of its protective capabilities, but the protectiveness does decrease over time.

a helmet inside a hot car (especially in direct sun) will also break down due to the high heat, and UV exposure over time makes plastics more brittle. I have had a helmet in the past that showed visible signs of melting foam from leaving it in a hot car in the summertime.

I use my helmets longer than the "recommended" 3 years (more like 5-8 depending on how beat up it looks), but I still toss 'em when I buy a new one. I'd be more apt to put my light mount on a cheap second helmet than to use an old one.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts