Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Experimenting...

2K views 29 replies 12 participants last post by  Visicypher 
#1 ·
As usual, I keep tweaking the bikes. This time, I'm convering SJ's Yeti (WTB Laserdisc XC rims) and my SS (Spinergy Xyclone rims) to tubeless using Stans and Maxxis Tubeless System rim strips. Apparently, with the Maxxis strips, you can convert your rims so it can use tubeless tires for $5 per wheel. I went the tubed tire conversion way to save some weight and money.
The rim required no drilling, the strip took about 1 minute to put in. On SJ's Yeti, we put on a new Kenda BG 2.35 Stick-E up front and installing the tire took about 25 minutes since the bead was tight. The rear tire was a well used Mutano 2.4 and it only took about 3 minutes to get the tire on. All tires aired up well (I used a compressor but a floor pump would've done it easily). The Kendas took a little while to get sealed up. The Mutanos, took no time at all.
The weight difference is about even or 25 grams heavier with the tubless system.
Maxxis rim strips = 98 grams
cup of Stans = 50 grams (I used a cup and a half)
vs
Butyl tube = 150 grams
Rim strip = 26 grams

Pic #1 is the rim strip inside the rim. As you can see, it goes up and over the sidewall
Pic #2 is the tire uninflated on the rim and the rim strip
Pic #3 is the inflated tire and the rim strip over the sidewall. The rim strip also serves to protect the rim from dings if you hit a ledge too sharply...

Hopefully this stuff works...
BTW- I heard that tubeless tires maybe a super tight fit with the strips.

Attachments

See less See more
Discussion starter · #3 ·
amen brutha...

Bombin4X said:
Keep us informed Mad Scientist Dr. Flip. I was reading an older thread from this forum from last year about Stan's/tubeless setups and had some good chuckles.
it's amazing how people have strong feelings about "sealant"... hehe...

Discussion starter · #11 ·
Dude...

BelaySlave said:
I'm totally ignant about the plusses and minuses about tubeless tires....

1) Is the ride difference THAT noticeable or is it so slight, that a Dork Looper like myself won't notice much? How would you describe the ride qualities of a tubeless tire?

2) How does a puncture seal up? Is it just like Slime in the tube?
1. It only makes a difference if you run lower pressures since you can no longer theoretically pinch flat (having said that, i saw impdude pinch a tubeless tire in Fruita). I don't run tubeless specific tires so I still run almost regular pressures (28 to 32 psi).

2. The biggest benefit is the puncture resistance (goatheads) and it does seal like Slime. The Stans does solidify over time and need to be replaced (every 3 months or so). FWIW, Stan's can't seal sidewall cuts.

Tubeless system for bikes is still evolving.
I think when I first met Visi a few years ago (in a planet far away), he was already running tubeless...

Discussion starter · #17 ·
Has it been that long???

Visicypher said:
Few years ago??? I think I've known you for about a decade. And damn it...I don't get any flowers anymore!!! Not even a card!!! haha
I remember meeting you when you had double vision and pre-spackle... ahhh... how time flies...

Discussion starter · #24 ·
Dingle said:
addin slime w/ your tubeless system stans or super juice. you get additional hole fillin capabilities (as in larger diameter hole closing ability, almost 1-3mm) and its a cool lookin alien sperm color if you puncture. anyways I think tubeless sucks via UST or notubes b/c of tire roll offs and burps at all the inopportune times. but what do I know anyways I'm outta touch. I just like to shoot my mouth off and throw wrenches into the machines ala ludditesque
Dude,
what percentage slime do you add? 50/50? I'm swapping tires again today and may give that a shot...
G

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.