Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As usual, I keep tweaking the bikes. This time, I'm convering SJ's Yeti (WTB Laserdisc XC rims) and my SS (Spinergy Xyclone rims) to tubeless using Stans and Maxxis Tubeless System rim strips. Apparently, with the Maxxis strips, you can convert your rims so it can use tubeless tires for $5 per wheel. I went the tubed tire conversion way to save some weight and money.
The rim required no drilling, the strip took about 1 minute to put in. On SJ's Yeti, we put on a new Kenda BG 2.35 Stick-E up front and installing the tire took about 25 minutes since the bead was tight. The rear tire was a well used Mutano 2.4 and it only took about 3 minutes to get the tire on. All tires aired up well (I used a compressor but a floor pump would've done it easily). The Kendas took a little while to get sealed up. The Mutanos, took no time at all.
The weight difference is about even or 25 grams heavier with the tubless system.
Maxxis rim strips = 98 grams
cup of Stans = 50 grams (I used a cup and a half)
vs
Butyl tube = 150 grams
Rim strip = 26 grams

Pic #1 is the rim strip inside the rim. As you can see, it goes up and over the sidewall
Pic #2 is the tire uninflated on the rim and the rim strip
Pic #3 is the inflated tire and the rim strip over the sidewall. The rim strip also serves to protect the rim from dings if you hit a ledge too sharply...

Hopefully this stuff works...
BTW- I heard that tubeless tires maybe a super tight fit with the strips.

Attachments

·
just a man
1,860 Posts
Keep us informed Mad Scientist Dr. Flip. I was reading an older thread from this forum from last year about Stan's/tubeless setups and had some good chuckles.

·
Registered
7,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
amen brutha...

Bombin4X said:
Keep us informed Mad Scientist Dr. Flip. I was reading an older thread from this forum from last year about Stan's/tubeless setups and had some good chuckles.
it's amazing how people have strong feelings about "sealant"... hehe...

·
Premium Member
2,715 Posts
I like the pics of the Stan's cheese you put up. Those were cool.

Supposedly the TS Rim Strips work really well. I have a 30 pack of tubes. I have to stick with them for a bit.

·
Registered
7,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I heard the same

about the TS strips. I'll try to get them to burp today... As cheap as they were, it definitely was worth the try...

·
Premium Member
2,715 Posts
See the following: http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87830

The DH crowd seemed hard pressed to burp their tires, but the posts from the above were pretty old. Let me know how it goes.

At 25 minutes of tire installation, i wouldn't experiment with tires too much. The thread from above also mentions experimentation with non-ust tires...if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
I'm totally ignant about the plusses and minuses about tubeless tires....

1) Is the ride difference THAT noticeable or is it so slight, that a Dork Looper like myself won't notice much? How would you describe the ride qualities of a tubeless tire?

2) How does a puncture seal up? Is it just like Slime in the tube?

·
Premium Member
2,715 Posts
Ummm...just because I posted an old thread, and have a bunch of tubes, doesn't mean I am not running tubeless.

FYI - I've been riding on tubeless wheels for as long as you have. I still have a set of 3.1s, and I have a DH pair of 3.1.

Geez....

·
TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
2,980 Posts
Visicypher said:
Ummm...just because I posted an old thread, and have a bunch of tubes, doesn't mean I am not running tubeless.

FYI - I've been riding on tubeless wheels for as long as you have. I still have a set of 3.1s, and I have a DH pair of 3.1.

Geez....
Do not feed the trolls. They disguise themselves as boyscouts. Actually they are boyscouts. Good little boy scouts. Happy little boy scouts. Pretty little boy scouts.

I've been running tubeless since 1979 on my car. I've had one flat and that was in Bendover Nevada.

·
Registered
7,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dude...

BelaySlave said:
I'm totally ignant about the plusses and minuses about tubeless tires....

1) Is the ride difference THAT noticeable or is it so slight, that a Dork Looper like myself won't notice much? How would you describe the ride qualities of a tubeless tire?

2) How does a puncture seal up? Is it just like Slime in the tube?
1. It only makes a difference if you run lower pressures since you can no longer theoretically pinch flat (having said that, i saw impdude pinch a tubeless tire in Fruita). I don't run tubeless specific tires so I still run almost regular pressures (28 to 32 psi).

2. The biggest benefit is the puncture resistance (goatheads) and it does seal like Slime. The Stans does solidify over time and need to be replaced (every 3 months or so). FWIW, Stan's can't seal sidewall cuts.

Tubeless system for bikes is still evolving.
I think when I first met Visi a few years ago (in a planet far away), he was already running tubeless...

·
Premium Member
2,715 Posts
I hope you haven't been running boobless technology since the 60s...

Boobless is bad...or good. Depending upon what the application is.

Lubeless is always bad.

·
Back of the pack fat guy
4,008 Posts
smilycook said:
boy is amazing how new technology can scare so many people off...
Yeah, I can't believe you idiots are still riding mountain bikes with 26" wheels. Sheesh. Get with it, you Luddites. :rolleyes:

·
TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
2,980 Posts
Earthpig said:
Yeah, I can't believe you idiots are still riding mountain bikes with 26" wheels. Sheesh. Get with it, you Luddites. :rolleyes:
Don't use big words like "Luddite", it might confuse people.

BTW my mom and dad were riding 29" wheels in the the 60's when we lived in Holland. Where they invented bikes. They brought em back with us but couldn't find local rubber. Check out the proto-Marys and pre-Jones curves.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,715 Posts
Were we in Kuna? And was I eating spam? Or balut? Was there a goat involved?

Few years ago??? I think I've known you for about a decade. And damn it...I don't get any flowers anymore!!! Not even a card!!! haha

You are soooo correct on the Stanny spackle not helping the sidewall slash giggy. The Evil bike is tubeless DH tires on DH tubeless rim jobs with the appropriate non Stanny spackle inside. I think I have between 20-30psi in them and I never worry about pinch flatting them....but then again they are DH tire designed with that in mind

·
Registered
7,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Has it been that long???

Visicypher said:
Few years ago??? I think I've known you for about a decade. And damn it...I don't get any flowers anymore!!! Not even a card!!! haha
I remember meeting you when you had double vision and pre-spackle... ahhh... how time flies...

·
Registered
292 Posts
:)

Visicypher said:
Spackle spray prevention galore. Definitely don't use frotteurism.

So do you just happen to have a dictionary of sexual terminology and fetishes sitting next to you. :eek: At least this one is much better than felching!

·
Premium Member
2,715 Posts
and way better than having a paraphilia!!!! Or imagine suffering from dyspareunia. Yowsers!!! No fun there.

Here is a funny one for you...

Felching Banana recipe

Scale ingredients to servings
1 oz vodka
1 oz Bailey's® Irish cream
1 splash banana liqueur
1 oz creme de cacao

Combine ingredients into warmed old fashioned glass or shooter and drink through a straw.

Haha!! Warm glass and a straw....other than the name and that it wouldn't be a bad dessert drink. Not.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts