Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 242 Posts

·
GTaholic
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I´m adding this thread just because I do so many different prototypes, the stuff I design and make is mostly prototypes and my free time isseverely limited just because a day only have 24 hours.

First out in MTBR is 140mm REAR specific disc, I´ve received a lot interest in these, needs to be tested and be up to par with a shimano disc regarding braking power.

The weight and material choice will be in aanother league.
Projected weight is 43 grams in 2.0mm thick 6al 4v titanium.
REAR only as rear braking gets lower braking force so I can design a lighter disc.

I will cut this prototype very soon and sending out for testing.
My 160mm have been cutted in 6 pcs and already sent around the world for testing in arious conditions.

I did resize this pic in Paint not a clever solution but I´m in a hotel room on my christmas vacation right now...

Attachments

·
Registered
385 Posts
just curious, remember trying some early(early as in when disc brakes where just starting out...in 95') Titanium rotors and the biggest issues were noise and heat build up, have you been able to work around this?

·
Registered
213 Posts
metelhead said:
just curious, remember trying some early(early as in when disc brakes where just starting out...in 95') Titanium rotors and the biggest issues were noise and heat build up, have you been able to work around this?
Could this be due to pad material of the time? There are a lot of pad choices available now. May not be an issue any more. Anxious to hear other thoughts too.:confused:

·
GTaholic
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I know the titanium disc problems are hard to overcome but I want to sell a good disc in titanium, many has did mistakes in the past like using pure titanium as it´s weaker than 6061 aluminumand thinking it´s cool and will hold up or wrong design.

But the pad abrasion is a tough one to overcome.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I...

am not in favor of the carbon spider version shown here. It is important for a disc brake rotor to be able to dissipate as much heat as possible-I would expect that a carbon spider would not be able to dissipate heat as well as a full titanium rotor. Rotor performance is directly proportional to heat dissipation.
I would like to see the heat transfer/dissipation specifications for different materials (stainless steel/6-4 titanium/7075 Aluminum/MMC) taken into account when attempting to design light weight high performance disc brake rotors.

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
Monticone said:
Nice products, but seems you're flipping through the Carbon-Ti catalogue.

Could be "experimental" but surely not original...
Well - Carbon-Ti X-lock skewers are also not original. They copied the design from PoP-Switzerland...the seatclamps look like Extralite clones....all at prices that go to the moon!

1 - 20 of 242 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.