Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
I noticed under help on their site that they use ESCROW for payment. Although I don't remember exactly what it is, I do remember it being mentioned with a few internet scams. The prices are too good to be true, and probobly are. I would strongly suggest you wait for other people that know more about scams to reply before you buy anything from that site. I am 99% sure its a scam.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
beware...

this operation is a scam, here's why:
First clue: there is no 2005 intense tracer, model was discontinued, also the guy is 'selling' specialized and cannondale bikes online, big no, specialized and cannondale do not allow any online sale of their bikes...this got me to thinking this is fishy...
Second: the reviews sounded a lot like ebay reviews, so i went to ebay, looked at a few usernames that the 2005 bicycles site provided, and each one had left that exact review, but not for any single seller.
third: went to whois.com, looked up the domain was established in april 3rd 2005, yet already has sold hundreds of bikes supposedly (hundreds of reviews, all from a website selling bikes that has only been in existance for a few weeks?)
fourth: site domain is registered to a robert tarabella in fairhope, AL. Ok, thats seemed ok, but Robert Tarabella runs a truck advertisement company in fairhope and some other stuff in Mobile, nothing even remotely bike related
fifth: site is registered to some guy in Alabama, but...get ready for it...the contact address, found after a little digging through the site, is for portugal!!! Now what are all of those bikes doing being sold in portugal?

I bet if you call up Robert Taraballa, he will have no clue that his credit card is being used to fund a site 'selling' bikes out of Lisbon, Portugal. Dont sign up at the site either because it is most likely just trying to get you to enter a lot of personal information so they can mess up your credit...

final verdict: SCAM!!!!

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
problem with internet fraud..

globalization, the US government is trying to crack down on fraud/scams but most times you can onyl complain once you have been ripped off, you cant just point to a website and say...fraud...and they will go shut it down. I dont know where to point people, if anyone wants to help out that would be great.
what these sites do is against US law see:
http://www.usdoj.gov/criminal/fraud/Phishing.pdf
i would think the guy in AL would want to know about this, so he should be notified, and then the credit companies can try to track down the perpetrators...Cradit comapnies cna be very insistent and efficient when they want their money back.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Nice detective work

dompedro3 said:
globalization, the US government is trying to crack down on fraud/scams but most times you can onyl complain once you have been ripped off, you cant just point to a website and say...fraud...and they will go shut it down. I dont know where to point people, if anyone wants to help out that would be great.
what these sites do is against US law see:
http://www.usdoj.gov/criminal/fraud/Phishing.pdf
i would think the guy in AL would want to know about this, so he should be notified, and then the credit companies can try to track down the perpetrators...Cradit comapnies cna be very insistent and efficient when they want their money back.
I think you've saved some folks a lot of heartache. Now someone needs to break the news to the guy who's information was stolen to set up the web site.

Clyde

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.